Click here if you are having website access problems ×

XFlow, Buzzed engine

virden

I fluffed a gear change and buzzed my std 1700X to an indicated 7500 yesterday. (Caterham rev counter probably over reading?) Every thing seems alright and still working as it was. Are there any visual checks I should make- for broken valve springs etc? Or just light another candle in thanks to St Makepiece, the patron saint of bodgers?

7,500 should be OK - but maybe don't do it too often. I used to have my car set at 7,500 but have now cut that to 7,000.

You just never know whether you will always be able to get away with it or whether the engine will say 'no' at some point.

Meantime, if its sounds OK (i.e. rattly, noisy) and is belching smoke and leaking oil as usual then it probably enjoyed it!

Andy

Did this once myself. Motorway slip road, 3rd gear at 6000rpm, hit 2nd instead of 4th. Massive scream from car, same from me! Watched revs drop away from what I can only guess was 9000rpm.

Paranoia mode on, thought that the engine sounded a little odd, but settled in a few hundred yards. Been fine for the last 8 years!

A rev limiter will stop an engine accelerating past a limit by cutting off the sparks. However, if the car is doing 80mph (6000rpm in 3rd) and you grab 2nd instead of 4th, the engine will be accelerated by the momentum of the car and no removal of sparks can prevent it. Hence the engine gets buzzed to 9000rpm.

By contrast, I find without a limiter I am more cautious on the throttle and drive a little slower even though I know that the red line can be abused. I used to love timing a gear change so that I just hit the limited going under a bridge so that the misfire could echo around.

Edited by - Graham Sewell on 30 Sep 2011 14:08:02

I take it from the above postings that crank breakage is one possible failure mode on an over-revved cross-flow....

One great thing about a cast iron crank is it is either broken or it's not! CI does not bend much before it pings.

Is you engine still running? Crank is most likely ok.

Is it running without misfires or unevenness? Valve gear is most likely ok.

Oily rag diagnosis rules!

The sun is shining - Go Blat!

😬