Click here if you are having website access problems ×

1700X Flow Starting

daveperry

Hi Dave *wavey*,

In my yoof I used to have a nova sport on DCOE 40s and that used the chokes with no problem at all. Just make sure there is a bit of slack to ensure the levers are firmly in the off position when not needed.

Regards,

Giles

Edited by - Klunk on 7 Sep 2011 14:42:19

DCOE Webbers have a pump diaphragm in the body; if the engine has not run for a while, fuel drains away from the float chamber making it near-impossible to start. Actuating the pump diaphragm fills it again.

To actuate it, pump the throttle peddle 8-10 times before starting and if everything else is in order, it should burst in to life - no choke required! If this does not work, you probably have another problem in the carb, which a choke will only mask.

Marc

The most bothersome aspect of fitting an electric fuel pump is running a power feed to it. Most people also recommend a pressure limiter, set to about 3 PSI, to stop the pump from overfilling the carbs. If it seems like too much bother, it may swing your decision to know that the Ford mechanical pumps have a nasty failure mode where the diaphram splits and petrol drains into the sump. This doesn't improve the lubrication qualities of your oil at all.

I would fit a oil pressure switch like this to stop the pump once the engine stops.

Q102, that looks like an interesting bit of kit. But unless its really clever won't it defeat the point of changing to an electric pump covered in this thread, namely that an electric fuel pump will get petrol to carbs on ignition switch on. This allows the carbs to be pumped and then start readily without lots of churning of the starter motor to get the mechanical fuel pump to get petrol to the carbs?

Keep it simple. For me, about 6 pumps on the throttle (maybe 8 if it hasn't been run for a while) - you will soon find out what works for you - and then start with just a slightly open throttle.

It is important that your battery is well charged up, or it will turn too slowly, not fire and flood.

If you flood it, hold the throttle fully open for about 30 secs, release it, and then turn it over.

Terry