Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Getting an Ital axles to cope with track days - oil surge...

bstark

Surely there must be some way to get them to cope *mad*

I've spent more on the axle on my car than any other bit of it over the years and it now has decent halfshafts (glued to bearings, and no bearing movement issues since) a Quaife ATB and Jigsaw CW&P in it. Axle is overfilled by jacking up the rear.

It was fine when I was just sprinting it, and absolutely silent on the road for 2 years.

First trackday I do (Brands yesterday - and very slippery, so not even flat out in the bendy bits) and the axle starts complaining after 5 laps or so. By the time I leave the circuit it sounds like a straight cut gearbox. It also did this the last time I was at Brands which is why I went down the Jigsaw route, but I can't afford to do this every trackday.

I'm assuming its an oil surge or oil temp issue or both. I'm just fed up with it now, though, as being able to go for it on the track is a big part of owning the car. The rest of the car is great so I don't want to think about selling it.

So... what can be done that will actually work, and stay working?

For oil surge, did you baffle the axle ? i also think that glueing the bearing is not the best option, you are better to shim it.

did you rebuild your axle yourself ? if so did u use a collapsable bush on the pinion ?

this should also be solid as it was designed for.

i had a ex Academy X-flow and the axle is fine for the 4 years it's doing track days on Toyo R 888, it's the engine ho suffers more from oil surge.

It had 110bhp but has now 160 since the new year and the axle is still fine.

The axle was done by 7 Indulgence, and the ATB and CW&P fitted by R+R. Don't know if it is baffled.

The engine now has some pretty fancy breather pipework and a big wing sump and seems fine on track (touch wood).

The axle used to be fine when I first started doing trackdays, but since doing a couple of seasons sprinting I now corner faster so I guess it was marginal previously. The power isn't the issue, nor is bearing movement...

Hi all,

English axles suffer exactly the same as surge as Ital axles. Ital axles as standard do have some minimal baffling very similar to English axles, there is no advantage in an standard english axle over a standard ital axle as far as oil surge is concerned.

Ital axles with standard baffles over filled with oil (2 litres) should stand serious track use with sticky tyres (ACB 10's).

Are you sure the oil level was right?

When I build Ital axles I drill and tap the breather hole in the top to a bigger dia. This aids when filling the axle. The proceedure is fill through the breather until it runs out of the fill whole in the back, approx 1.3 litres, then replace the rear plug and add at least 0.7 litres on top. This is with no extra baffling!

What this effectively does is fill the axle with oil to just under the level of the half shafts to the full width of the axle. as the oil surges to one side the oil from the opposite tube fills the diff area.

On some later Ital axles supplied by caterham there is a second filler plug in the back plate higher up.

Cheers

Chris

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the info *thumbup*.

Pretty sure the axle was overfilled by jacking up the rear and using the normal filler. I very much doubt there was an additional 2 litres in there.

Any idea how much higher up the second filler is positioned?

Bob

Bob,

I have just looked at my build notes (previous info slightly wrong, memory and age! don't go well together), oil capacity from empty to the standard fill hole is approx 1.15 litres I then fill to a total of 2 litres, so an extra 0.85 litres.

I don't have any measurement for the higher fill hole on some axles but at a guest 25/30mm higher.

Another way to get the extra oil in but it is a bit of a pain is with the axle level take out one of the half shafts and hub and fill until the oil runs out of the oil seal that seals the shaft. from memory this will be approx 2 litres.

I also agree with Elie, i'm not sure I would trust the bearings being glued. I always shim them.

The one big no no for ital axles and track work is kerb jumping. They don't like the repeated tangential shock load. Easy fix though, keep off the kerbs

Cheers

Chris

Edited by - Revin Kevin on 20 Aug 2011 10:51:32

Bob

I've never fitted an oil cooler to the diff on a caterham and have never heard of over heating the oil on an ital but to be honest I've never measured the temperatures either.

I would imagine it would be complete over kill unless you were thinking of some type of endurance racing.

If you do you will need to pump the oil with an electric pump.

Cheers

Chris