Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Starting Problem - New (ish) Owner

cur7is

First of all, thanks for the forum, it really helped when I was looking at cars and has been extremely useful since. Now to the issue(s) ...

Been driving very happily, but went to start today and nothing, well ...

* Disarm immobiliser - seems fine

* Turn key - seems fine, electrics all good, dash comes alive, sounds like the fuel pump kicks in, lights work with no dimming

* Push starter button - nothing, just a click, no turnover

I've looked all over for issues like loose connections, can't see much.

I've tried:

* Start with clutch depressed

* Disarm, rearm immobiliser. Wait for slow flash etc.

* Press the little inertia switch just inside engine bay

Please excuse my lack of technical ability here, but any help is gratefully received: it's unny out there and an evening in the 7 is all I really want ...

The car is 2007 roadsport 1.6 k-series, supersport conversion, engine cut-off on driver side, otherwise I think the rest is standard (?).

Any help greatly appreciated.

Has it been standing for a few weeks ?

Immobiliser can flattery battery enough to prevent a start.

Do you have a meter to measure voltage across battery terminals ?

Maybe the small feed cable to the solenoid has broken inside the insulation. You could try bypassing it by running a cable from battery +ve (red) and touching it on the small terminal on the solenoid ...... expect a spark and starter to turn, so try not to jump ! Best to crimp a spade connector on to a cable and connect it on the small spade terminal, in place of the existing cable, then touch the free end on the battery +ve.

edit .... the cut-off switches are known to be problematic on occasions ... may be worth bypassing it for now to try to see if that helps.

Edited by - Stationary M25 Traveller on 2 Aug 2011 17:31:41

Thanks for replying.

Nope, it's been in use about every few days with all the good weather.

Don't have a voltage meter, but saw another thread about watching to see if the lights dimmed on startup and thought all was well; perhaps I'll invest.

I really feel like a mechanical numpty at this point.

Anything else I can try?

Have you got jump leads to try from another car, or a willing helper to try a push start !

If a liquid filled battery .... have you checked liquid levels in every cell ?

Check all connections on the fat cables - battery to starter, engine to chassis.

Where are you based ?

Edited by - Stationary M25 Traveller on 2 Aug 2011 17:51:03

Where are you? There might be someone local who wouldn't mind popping in for a quick check of the usual areas that cause this. Jump leads would be my next choice, then bypassing the MFRU with a wire from the battery to just touch on the solenoid to see if that triggers the starter.

Tried a jump, nothing. Not checked the battery.

Checked connections as best I could, nothing untoward I can spot bearing in mind I'm pretty clueless with the 7 ...

I'm in Ham, between Kingston and Richmond.

Edited by - cur7is on 2 Aug 2011 17:55:29

*arrowup* May be a dodgy earth on the starter motor if the hammer doesn't work.

Edit: Also try putting it into reverse and rocking the car backward and forwards (when switched off!).

Edited by - Mort on 3 Aug 2011 17:35:34

Hoping this can get sorted tomorrow, I'm going to pick Dougs brains and try to get as many daft questions out of the way in one sitting ...

Really appreciate the words of wisdom folks.

I'll try to get myself to a meet of some kind for a blat while the summer is still with us.

Cheers.