Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Strange whine from cam area

Dave Allen

My 7 has just develeped a strange whine coming from the cam area, 7 is driveable with no signs of being out of sorts.

It's a 1.6 kseries Roadsport in standard tune and you can only hear the whine on tickover but it does increase as throttle is applied.

Hoping POBC can help.

Thanks Dave.

Dave

I was thinking on the way home from the Boat what the best way to discribe the sound to the POBC would be. The best I can do is to say it's just like someone is holding some sand paper to a cam. So in other words it's like a light grinding sound which does seem to be coming from the top of the engine.

*idea* *idea*Duratec transplant this winter 🤔 *tongue* *tongue*

Jason

Try wiggling the cambelt cover when the noise is present to see if it varies as it could be the belt rubbing on the belt cover. It could also be the cambelt tensioner so it is worth removing the front cambelt cover and investigating how the belt is running.

Oily

Just had the same on my Renault Scenic - it turned out to be water pump bearing failure, the consequences of which are too expensive to even think about if not dealt with immediately.

Rather annoying, since I fitted a new pump at the last belt change. If it does turn out to be something similar you'd be mad not to also change idlers and belt.

Dave

all I did was supply the orange juice,a helping hand and plenty of B.S. Still can't believe you thought it was the cams making that grinding noise. 😬 😬 *redface* This is what I like about these toy cars, as I know nothing about them I enjoy learning about what makes them go and now when someone comes on Blatchat with a similar problem I can offer an answer and sound like I know what I'm on about when really I haven't got half a clue *wink*

Jason