Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Upgrading from standard sigma rad to triple bypass or Radtec

sigmasmith

Looks like its rad change time again *cry*

Has anyone with a sigma engined car had any problems with upgrading to either of these without the extra fitting heading off to the expansion tank *confused*

I have read that a few of the standard rads have been fitted to k series cars without problems by blanking this fitting off, but is their anything specific to the sigma engine that needs it? Is it the case that if its bled properly that its not required?

CC south changed my Std job on my Sigma 150, for an R400 rad . They also had to change the Rad mounts and fan, but it was a stright swap. They just removed the bleed hose and T piece from the equation and simply hooked the hose that held the T piece and bleed pipe straight into the expansion tank.

Watching them bleed the system was interesting so say the least

If you BM me, I can send the same email with Photos that I sent to Garth in Feb when he did the same thing.

Mike

Edited for: Spelling, and having checked my photos of the re-hosed 😳 system.

Edited by - michaeljclark on 17 May 2011 15:23:03

Email with photos sent

The mounts were taller top to bottom and narrower so as to cope with the larger rad. They came off a CSR260 as did the Fan (CC "forgot" that the mounts & fan were different and didn't have any to hand, but they didn't charge for them as I'd been given a written cost of the work - plus I suspect they were going to reuse my old mounts and fan) for "other purposes"

Mike

My Sigma 150 SV rad failed after 2 years and 8000 miles. I bought a new one from CCS and they sent the failed one to their supplier with my completed warranty claim form and the supplier paid the cost.

But now at a further 2 years and a further 8000 miles that rad has failed. Unbelieveable.

I don't know whether to get yet another standard CC rad and try to claim again (I have a good precedent) or give up and get a Radtec one. Are Radtec the only people who do an all-alloy direct replacement? Is the Radtec one literally a direct replacement with no reworking?

When it failed I discovered my 7 was on its 4rd std rad in 3 years - now admittedly for an 07 plated car it had (at the time) 27k miles on the clock (its an ex hire car) but I spoke to hire firm, who said it went through 1 a year and always failed in the same place - where the metal meets the plastic. CC confIrmed what I'd been told (re qty of replacements), so there was no way it was having a 5th standard one again.

Mike

Edited by - michaeljclark on 17 May 2011 23:36:49

Mr Sigmasmith...I did exactly the same thing as Mike recently - R400 all aluminium with welded joints (not crimped like standard one) needed new fan and fan mounts and swapped over easily. Bit more tricky to bleed as no auto bleed, but it has been great - bigger radiator means fan does not kick in as often as it used to!

good luck

Garth

Edited by - Garth on 18 May 2011 16:28:59

Quoting sigmasmith: 
Yep, ordered my first one with the extra bit and this is my second one, but this one has arrived without so wondering if its going to cause a problem.

I hope not 😳

I don't think it will as it only enables bleeding. Just remember to blank off the pipe going from the header to the by pass pipe on the rad *wink*