Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Rear wing nylon fixing bolts. How to Extract them

Fil M

Hello All,

I am posting this for information so others can find it in their hour of need. There are several threads regarding these bolts losing their heads and what to replace them with but I could not find a method of how to get the body of the nylon bolt back out of the riv nut from under the wing. Here is how...

Fire up the blow torch *confused* get hold of a small very narrow electrical screwdriver..preferably with a non metalic handle Heat the tip up until very hot *eek* push the hot tip firmly into the end of the sheared bolt and allow it to melt in *rolleyes*hold the screwdriver for a few seconds until it sets *redface* now work the bolt out by unscrewing it *wink* You may have to do it a couple of times. The screw driver may break loose but simply repeat the proceedure ... persevere and ease them out. If you have had a tooth out before you will know the technique..a bit of push here,a bit of tug, a wiggle and a turn..patience. Spray a bit of WD40 first if you like. At worst you will melt the bolt through and probably be able to drive it with the new one and force it through if you cant get it out with this method.

After clumsily getting out of my 7 I hit the drivers rear wing hard with my foot and heard a 'crack'. It turned out I sheared a nylon bolt head off. I realised that two others were also missing leaving the wing vulnerable. I have managed to replace them. If in thirty years someone has the same trouble the answer is now 'logged'. *wavey*

Blimey, Phil – thanks for the warning, and sorry to hear about the accident on exit. Still fancy myself as agile and athletic (even after 63 summers), but I have a couple of heavy friends. Think I’ll nip round and help them out in future…

I have been toying with a modified zimmer combined with unwanted Helium balloons from party left overs for easing out of the saddle St Eve. Any one for a bulk buy? I could call the device an 'easy out' AVES. Thanks for the posts chaps. *wavey*

FIL