Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Leaking K series sump

Jetto

I did a full oil change including dropping the sump and installing a new foam baffle (yes I realise you may flame me for putting the foam in but the old one was fully intact and I felt more comfortable renewing it rather than doing the gasket mod).

The sump gasket seemed in good condition so I re-used it as many people have suggested. Everything was put back together and I did an initial run up to check for leaks of which there were none apparent.

A few days following my first spirited drive after the oil change I noticed oil on the floor of my garage which appears to be coming from the back end of the engine so I am presuming that there is an issue with the sump seal in this area.

I fully cleaned the sump pan and engine mating surfaces before putting everything back together but now have this leak!

I guess the only option is to drop the oil and take the sump off again and order a new gasket because no doubt this gasket has an issue?

Thanks,

Oli

It's not uncommon for a little oil to spill into the bell housing when removing the sump as some volume is retained above the gasket on the exhaust side. After refitting the sump some oil can leech out of the bellhousing and give the appearance of a leak from the rear of the sump.

Oily

As Oily says - dont panic yet it could well be some residual oil - keep wipping the bottom of the sump and place some newspaper under it when parked up and see if it continues to leak. You may also want to check the sump bolt torque (M8 x 25mm 25Nm - M8x60mm 30Nm 2 adjacent to bell housing + dont forget to slacken off the sump to bell housing bolts first) then check tighten in the correct sequence (basically opposits)

Nick

• 1 year later...
Hi -- found this thread after a search as I have the very same problem. My K was weeping a little oil out of the join between sump and bell housing. At the sprint at Curborough lots more oil came out at side of engine round bell housing and I was advised to change sump gasket. On the M42 home was ok and no more than usual. This was done a few weeks ago and re torqued up a second time using settings in this thread, Unfortunately oil is still weeping out of the join when car is standing and when running. Leak increases on a run out. I am concerned about crank oil seal but there is no trace of any oil on the flywheel' Wondered if Jetto finally cured it and if so how??? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

In your case, I'd suggest biting the bullet and trying another oil-change. Could be something as simple as a bit of crud trapped between the gasket and sump - or possibly not. The cost of a filter, some oil and some time might well be worth spending...