Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Upgraditis

Lost Boy

I currently have a 1.8K series supersport with around 140bhp, its around 11 years old and I'm doing a few trackdays now and would like a little more oomph. I'm considering throttle bodies and a new ECU to get up to 160 or maybe even a bit more 😳but after a trip to Bedford Autodrome a few weeks back I noticed that with only me in the car exiting the slow corners I was not able to put all of the power down anyway. Ultimately wondering whether I'd be better investing a limited slip diff first and then the power later or vice versa? *confused* Before you ask the budget is unlikely to run to both in the first year or 2!

Advice much appreciated *wavey*

Lost Boy

What suspension, brakes and tyres are you running? A set of bodies, programmable ECU and mapping might set you back >£1500, but some more wheels with stickier tyres, better brake pads and well set up suspension should cost much less than that and make you faster around a track overall.

Hi there,

a standard 1.8K with SS cams/ECU, but the basic exhaust is likely to be making 130bhp, if you are lucky.

Putting a 4:1 or 4:2:1 exhaust on will liberate a few more bhp. A programmable ECU(Emerald) and verniers should get you to 140-145.

Throttle bodies can push it up to 150-155, with a remap. Hotter cams (preferably with uprated springs and caps) can probably get you close to 160. Beyond that you need head work..

As far as driveability goes, a LSD is nice, but not essential.

Getting some decent dampers/springs/adjustable seats and setting it up properly WILL make a world of difference for not a great cost.

Cheers - Simon