Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Which ARB?

Geoff Wilcx

K engined superlight with CR500s widetrack etc

Red front bar, rear 2nd softest, 75mm under the sump, 15 mm rake, can't remember camber and toe (it's late!) (ish!)

Car used to have the green front bar. I much prefer the red. Have not got around to trying the orange or blue yet, but I intend to experiment sometime.

Hope that helps a bit

Geoff, I will see what is on mine--think 5/8" and it is fine. I will check the colour tomorrow to confirm. On the road, I think the rear has made more of a difference. It is on full hard at the moment, which is way too bumpy. Full soft is rather comfortable though, but a bit squishy for my liking.

Quoting naddy: 

Red front bar, rear 2nd softest, 75mm under the sump, 15 mm rake, can't remember camber and toe (it's late!) (ish!)

Car used to have the green front bar. I much prefer the red. Have not got around to trying the orange or blue yet, but I intend to experiment sometime.

Hope that helps a bit

Excellent information - I'm also running CR500's - I'm much firmer than than this so will give this a whirl and see what improvements it makes.

Edited by - Geoff Wilcx on 20 Mar 2011 23:04:40

Quoting jakeandlizzy: 
Geoff, I will see what is on mine--think 5/8" and it is fine. I will check the colour tomorrow to confirm. On the road, I think the rear has made more of a difference. It is on full hard at the moment, which is way too bumpy. Full soft is rather comfortable though, but a bit squishy for my liking.

Cheers Jake - I liked your set-up at Snett the other week - which seemed much softer than my set-up.

As said great on the track but no fun for driving these Fen Roads.

I run an orange roll bar with CR500s and widetrack. Rear second softest. However, that's a track setup. I'd want it softer for the road. Although I note that the best way of achieving this would be to go back to different springs / dampers. Which is the danger of just considering one aspect.

Jez

Reading from the top before Jez's post I was going to say which springs/dampers are you using? For road use you really need to be using M0/M2 dampers (Bilsteins) and soft-ish springs IMO, even on widetrack where I believe CC recommend uprating the springs to the 225 ones.

With the standard road bilsteins and road springs I think anything red (which is 5/8 I think) or softer should be ok. You want a pretty soft setup really to cope with the potholes and general bumps - green IMO is very much a track bar, and even then not to everyone's tastes - I could never get on with it.

Geoff

Probably you had no early replies as weather much too good to be stuck in front on a damn conputer, should bet out burning ubber. K series for road only these days, wide track, 13" with R888, Nitrons, 225 lb front 140lb rear (180BHP DVA 1600). Have used all sorts of springs and dampes, settled on above plus orange 12.8mm front, do not go stiffer for road, and 2nd from back hole arb. As others 15mm rake with driver on board. Nitrons set to approx 4 from full soft (R888 softer on road than 021's, not tried the Avons).

Geoff, confirm I use the orange as this is a good for fast road/track for the most part. My springs are 225, but I have the normal bilsteins with platforms -- a lot softer than the race alloy bilsteins you have (which I still cannot find for myself anywhere :( ).

I also have a lot of toe out which is not the best for road as it tends to tram with r888s a lot and does wear the inside of the tyres out a bit (but I fix this by swapping left-right on the front and run the r888s backwards toward the latter half of their life).

The rears are standard adjustables, so I think 140, but I wish they were about 160 or so.

When you road with me in the soaking rain, I had the rear set to full hard as I forgot to change it back (as I like to slide around a lot during the winter). I usually run it for road just one hole forward from the rear, so second softest.

Quoting Geoff Wilcx: 
Quoting naddy: 

Hope that helps a bit

Excellent information - I'm also running CR500's - I'm much firmer than than this so will give this a whirl and see what improvements it makes.

Edited by - Geoff Wilcx on 20 Mar 2011 23:04:40

Forgot to mention. I've removed the spacers from one end of the front bilstien dampers. Gives you more travel before hitting the bump stop. Made a big difference on bumpy roads. Was a bit of a faff moving the circlip on the dampers so that the adjustable platforms were moved up but well worth it *thumbup*