Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Slooooooooow puncture

Jon Crofts

Noticed the rear offside tyre was a bit low during the week, checked for obvious signs nothing.

Wheel off, inflated to 40 psi soapy water spray all over & wait..........

Nothing, until I see the tiniest bubble appearing on the metalwork 3 inches from the tyre rim behind the spokes.

There's a microscopic hole in the lacquer & the rim allowing air to escape.

Rims are Caterham 8 spokes.

Only fix I can think of is to paint the hole over?

Any other top tips?

Tyre off and repair lacquer I'd have thought? Not sure the paint would hold straight over the hole?!

I've had similar with ROver wheels where they apply thin layers of powder coat and they then bubble. FOr this I had tyre fitters clean the sealing adge and put tyre back on. I'd be tempted with home version to do a smarter job for the caterham though.

Kev

Typical, I just went to check over the 7 before taxing it in a few weeks, and I also had a puncture on the rear offside.

The car has been sorn since last November and was fine a week ago (in terms of not having a flat).

So out with the soapy water and my ‘puncture’ was between the tyre and the wheel rim, inboard. Really strange as at 25psi about a 6” length was slowly bubbling away apparently lost its seal. Now I realise that this joint may not have resealed following re-inflation from being flat, but no other puncture present. The car is locked away in the garage at all times so I can only assume it was this loss of seal between the tyre bead and rim. Strange.

Anyhow fortunately I had only last week picked up four new CR500’s from Dartford, so looks as though I will be fitting them as planned anyhow.

The old set were beginning to look a bit aged, not down to the min tread, just aged ie hardened. Some thin cracks had appeared on the inside of the rears (245 40 15) at the end of last year, hence thought it right time to dig deep and buy some new.