Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Vx1.6 - dripping carbs

flaps7

There has been a slow but steady build up of brown staining down the side of my car clearly from the carbs when driving. Can anyone point me to what I should be looking for to stop this as I have carbs and inlet manifold off the car. ALSO...should I use any form of gasket sealant between gasket and manifold/block.I ask as there was some used previously.

TA

Rick

Hi Rick *wavey*,

You shouldn't need any sealant if using a standard gasket. However, some people put some around the water outlet part of the gasket as a double measure (1mm bead both sides of gasket before fitting). After the old sealant has been removed, if there is any pitting/corrosion between the water outlet and the nearest cylinder inlet then it would be probably wise to use a very small amount. Just make sure the mating surface are clean and oil free before applying the sealant.

If the staining is on the paintwork underneath the filters, it's possible that this is just due to fuel "stand off" (fuel/air being forced back through the carbs) which occurs at a certain RPM on any DCOE set up. You can "tune" it's position in the rev range by using different camshafts/cam timing but you can't eliminate it. It's possible that your "stand off" occurs when you are at a common speed, e.g. 60mph, hence you have a high degree of stand off. How much brown liquid is in the air filter casing and on the filter?. Is there brown liquid in the air hole above the left trumpet (as you look at front of the carb?

Of course, there could just be a leak from the carb gaskets/unions etc. I would put it all back together and see what's happening with the fuel pump running on its own and then with the engine running. If these checks are clear then I'd be back with fuel "stand off". If you take the filters off and raise the revs slowly you should be able to see at what rpm it occurs.

HTH,

Regards,

Giles

Edited by - Klunk on 9 Feb 2011 17:17:08

My 1700 Xflow always did this and assumed they all did this as a result of 'stand off'. I used to wipe the carbs and air cleaner casings on a regular basis to keep the mess down to a minimum.

I found the smell quite addictive but I also like the smell of derve!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guys - thanks for all the help. I shall 'set-to-it' this weekend. Hope it goes better than Saturday; pushing car out of garage, I also have quite a liking for the smelll of petrol but my wife dosen't (although my true sniffing love is currently WD40) I successfully pushed the car over my newly purchased fcuking air-flow meter (and broke it..).

Rick