Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Driveshaft removeal

bobt

Hi,

I'm stripping the car down before sending it to Arch for some work. In the process I've spotted a few of the dreaded cracks on the dedion tube around the shock mounts so decided to pull that at the same time and get a replacement. Am I right in thinking I can just unbolt the rear hubs from the dedion to avoid having to remove the drive shafts from the hub? (big tight nuts *wink*)

So that the shafts are not left flapping about whist Bruce works his magic I'll remove the shafts from the diff but will probably leave the the diff in situ. When I pull the shafts from the diff (do I just pull or is there a circlip?) should I be prepared for the oil to pi$$ out ?

thanks

Rob

Am I right in thinking I can just unbolt the rear hubs from the dedion to avoid having to remove the drive shafts from the hub?
yes

When I pull the shafts from the diff (do I just pull or is there a circlip?) should I be prepared for the oil to pi$$ out
mine just pulled out...and yes oil will be 'released' *wink*

Your plan sounds fine and I've done it like that a few times, although undoing the big tight nuts is not such a big deal as the appropriate one has a reverse thread, so long as you've got a breaker bar and some scaffold pole - with that arrangement I managed it by standing on a 3ft pole even though I only weigh 60kg.

The shafts just pull out and so long as it's level, you shouldn't lose oil immediately unless you're overfilled. You'll either need to find something to plug the holes or a way of draining the oil from it in situ if you're going to transport it anywhere without the half-shafts inserted.

If you're taking out the De-Dion tube anyway then removing the diff is an absolute doddle with a trolley jack - why not get it out of the way while you're there?

back here because I want to be.