Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Ideas please - earthing carbon headlights

rynicolson

My bling carbon headlights are almost together (they were an old custom made job and all I started with were the lens holder and cone)... anyway main issue is trying to earth the headlight and indicator... on normal metal lights the earth wires are bolted to the lower front part of the cone... I have tried to solder onto the holding bolt (SS) which it won't adhere... any ideas? BTW all the pieces are together just waiting for the lens and holding ring to be refitted so would rather not dismantle (again *eek*)

Richard,

aka... Tricks...

aka darstardly

Y57 CDS

Known as Mutley

Q205 BNN

Sylva Phoenix

SM25T... thats the obvious (but thank you) answer... I want to avoid that as it adds more wire *eek* and would sit outside the conduit. I am a slight perfectionist 😬 and it therefore would not trunk through the loom which is all encased etc. My best thought is to wind wire around the holding bolt, glued in places and link to the earths (essentially what you suggest)... more interested in finding whether there is another way of soldering to the bolt...

Richard,

aka... Tricks...

aka darstardly

Y57 CDS

Known as Mutley

Q205 BNN

Sylva Phoenix

Drill and tap head of bolt say M5. Crimp eyelets to all earths and secure to bolt with suitable screw.

Or weld/braze a screw to the bolt and use that with a suitable nut. You'll stuggle to solder to a large steel bolt, especially if it's plated, unless you use a blow torch or similar to heat it.

And just seen you state it's stainless - are you sure? Not just plated - zinc or chrome?

Bri

Edited by - Bricol on 20 Nov 2010 18:41:55

Could just drill a 3mm hole towards the bottom of the threaded tube and once the big nut is on bolt an earth tag to the inside of the tube so the only thing you would see is a M3 bolt head. Should be neat enough even for the most discerning perfectionist *cool*

Jason