Click here if you are having website access problems ×

A nice first 'Head' job? UPDATE- HELP!?

James_Russell

A good friend of mine has a '93 polo 1043cc. It has a SOHC 8v engine with hydraulic tappets. It needs a good service including timimg belt, as well (ideally) a new head gasket because it has the common problem of oil seepage (has just killed an alternator)

Is anyone familiar with VW engines of this vintage and would you recommend that I offer to do the work myself? I know how everything works but I have no experience working with engine internals.

Is this a good engine to learn on?

Q41 ACF Classic Grad #98

Edited by - James_Russell on 27 Aug 2011 10:09:48

I did Deb's outside the front door.

Get the head skimmed - I tried to avoid it and did it again, properly, a week later . . .

New head bolts too were recommended to me. And you'll need the correct bit to undo them - not torx, but something of the same idea.

A local garage, for a cheaper job, simply makes and fits a shield over the alternator - so you still get the continual oil change system, a driveway that won't go rusty, and the alternator keeps working . .

Bri

You'd be surprised what those Polos go for- we had to beat them off with a stick for 2 weeks after sticking it in the auto-trader and selling it to the first one who won the race to get there!

Deb's car hadn't ever overheated, just the oil leak. But the ali head must have gone as soon as it came off - must admit it's the first time it's happened to me, but it was also the first ali head I'd done that I'd not skimmed . . .

For the few quid a set of head bolts cost (I think the sod din socket to undo them cost more), it was a no-brainer for me - especially as I'd already wasted one evening on it and didn't want waste any more - plus the hassle from Deb's if it had caused her more grief and she had to use my emergency Pug 106 (with a choke - something she simply doesn't get on with).

Bri

You can re-use the head bolts once. Officially they must be replaced every time the head is off, but ...

The job is quite easy. There are aligning marks for the cam on the pulley and on the flywheel.

Unfortunately I don't think I still have the Haynes manual. I've had the head off one of those a few times, usually without skimming the head. No problems at all.

Cheers for the advice everyone. Head bolts are 83p+vat each- I'm not quite tight enough to deny it those! Looks like the biggest expense would be skimming the head which I'm hoping to avoid- I'll subject it to a straight edge and feeler blade check. Some people on the veedub forums recommend using a liquid gasket sealer around the particular oil galley that causes the problems *confused*

Judging by this photo I took when I had the rocker cover off (pretty in there, isn't it?), the head bolts look like female splines- If thats the case I already have the right bits for it

Q41 ACF Classic Grad #98

• 9 months later...
*thumbup* thanks very much! That info is re-assuring... I bolted the cam down before lunchtime following the same sequence as the head bolts, in very small increments (quarter turns once the caps touched the cam!). Whole job done now- I've successfully replaced my first head gasket, cam belt and water pump! *smile*