Click here if you are having website access problems ×

New Sigma 125 starting problem

Dan Marsh

I have just come up to 1000mile in my Sigma and its been great! However, the car has been sat in the garage for 4/5 weeks and I want to give it a once over before heading out again (1st service type stuff).

I've put her up on axle stands and wanted to start the engine to get the oil flowing round before checking the oil. BUT, when I turn the key the fuel pump primes and then there is a loud chattering noise rather than the starter motor turning over.

Do I simple have a flat battery? (Sorry if it sounds like a silly question, but I'm still new at this 😬) It did struggle on starting 4/5 weeks ago, so that is my first thought. However, I want to see if the POBC thinks its an obvious broken this/that before I go and get a new battery and/or conditioner (and jump leads as I don't have any yet either). A month just didn't seem long for a 6 month old battery to die...

Thanks

DM

My Sigma 125 SV build photos

Dan,

Its a flat battery. They do go flat if the car is not run for a period as things like the imobiliser are a constant drain. Suggest you get a good charger/conditioner to recharge/keep it charged, rather than using jump leads which can cause their own problems.

peterC

If you don't already have one, fit a cigar lighter socket, wired directly to the battery via a 15 Amp fuse. That way you can easily plug in a battery conditioner without having to remove the bonnet every time. You can get decent ones with a waterproof cap from proper motor electrical factors that look very nice when mounted at the left hand end of the dash. The Halfrauds ones are carp and rust very quickly.

Edited to say that the Optimate conditioners, and probably others as well, come with a plug to go into the above mentioned socket.

Edited by - Paul Deslandes on 11 Nov 2010 09:21:47

It may not be a flat battery but simply a poor connection to the battery terminals.

I discovered this when trying to jumpstart my flat battery. Connection is strong enough to power fuel pump, lights etc, but when the starter motor is started up you just get a bunch of clicks.

Worth bearing in mind if it turns out the battery is found to be ok!

John

Not just the connection at the battery terminals, but also check the red cable on to the solenoid, and the various earth connections on the engine and chassis. Would expect the battery to be flat after a month with the immobiliser connected though. A conditioner is the way forward, especially connected to 12V power socket that is permanently live, so you don't need to take the bonnet off when you return from a blat.

Yes, it could be a connection, but given that the engine hasn't turned for 4/5 weeks, it's most likely to be flat due to drain from the immobilizer.

I would suggest fitting an FIA cutout switch. I made a battery last 8 years that way with plenty of months off. When you leave the car, immobilize it, then take out the red key then there's no drain at all. (Yes the battery will eventually flatten of its own accord, but it'll take a LOT longer)

back here because I want to be.

Well in the short term I'm getting a CTEK xs3600. Following that it'll be the FIA switch or 12v socket connected to the battery under the dash.

As for the Taffia Xmas get together, I've asked Alan for the details as I don't seem to have them. Still need to get to know everyone having managed to only get to one monthly meet in the last 6!

DM

My Sigma 125 SV build photos