Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Yoko AO21 v AO48 / 888 Time gain?

GordonW

Time difference for me was around 2 seconds (88secs down to 86 secs) back to back at Lydden when sprinting going from AO21Rs to soft R888s.

Biggest difference I think in my car is that roll when pressing on pushes the 70 section 21Rs onto the sidewall (feels that way anyway) where the 888s keep gripping and. at 60 section, move around less.

Bob Stark

Supersprinter

If it's nice and warm out, then 48s or 888s are pretty good.

However, 888s in the cold (especially winter mornings) are a nightmare IMHO.

Even the manufacturer says don't fit them on the rims if under 20 degrees ambient and don't drive on them if near freezing on the road...

If you're intending to use the car on the road in all weathers, then I'd recommend 48s (or CR500s if you do a lot of driving in the wet).

HTH - Simon

Surprised by the comments regarding 021's as I was considering changing to these from 888's due to price and availability.

Are 021 really that bad? I would of thought that these had a reasonably soft compound and the performance was not too far removed from 888's o 048's but with better manners in the wet too?

Anyone tried both (021 & 888) in the same tyre sizes on the same car ?

Too young to be old !

Bob,

Many thanks that's exactly the sort of experience I was hoping to benefit from and recently a 2 second improvement would have given me an even bigger smile!!

7 wonders - in my experience 21's amply live up to their reputation as an excellent all round mainly road tyre or wet weather track tyre however by virtue of these characteristics they are compromised for out and out dry use grip.

I suppose it depends what tyre you are running now 🤔

I have a set of 185/70x13 yoko A021 & 185/60x14 Yoko 048s.

More grip from the 48's in the dry, but *eek* when cold in the wet. Generally, once they are warm - lots of 😬

21's are a good all-rounder but will overheat on the track.

Jonathan *wavey*

penn7's pesky Zetec 😬 (formely Pesky xflow)

too sticky tyres are apropriated for a trackdays use, on the road my opinion is : road tyre are more fun. Except the cr500 that I don't know, all these tyres have stiff sidewall, are dangerous if not warm enough (difficult with the regulated speed), tramline more or less, are noisy, will send you stones, ... and are too sticky to have fun !!!

Ideal is to have a set for the road and another for the circuit

I like(d) the CR500s - good on the road hot or cold and fine on trackdays.

I had soft Kumho V70s on an R500 and they were amazing - by the end of our road they were already warm enough to pickup/fling stones..

Very progressive too.

Gordon - no problem *thumbup*

7 Wonders - same width, same car. It's not that A021Rs are bad, just that something like an R888 is better in that circumstance as it's designed for dry track use.

A021Rs in 70 section are still my road tyre of choice - perfectly suited for my car / engine combo *smile*

Bob Stark

Supersprinter