Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Advice on fitting a full roll cage

ECR

1990 De Dion Long cockpit

My car is more and more track focussed and with the probable addition of another car for touring it seems to make sense to fit a full cage. I am doing a chassis up renovation over the winter and I would like the "reborn" car to have a cage. I know there are various types available but what are my options ?

the safety devices one will fit your car as it has the front mounts attched to the scuttle / chassis rather than the caged model that uses bosses under the scuttle / chassis.

I guess if you are doing a ground up then the skins are coming off. This presents an opportunity for a bit of Mig action with the attachment of the 8 bosses ( 2 on each chassis tube under the drivers and passengers elbows and 2 under each of the scuttle / chassis tubes then you can simply purchase the caged bar.

here is my Duratec R .... C7 TOP

Taffia AO

both the caged and the safety devices are essentially the same design with curved top hoops (pics in my link below). The diffference being the front leg attachment method. Safety devices sits on the chassis, caged sits bolted to 2 bosses under the chassis.

Caged is the company that makes them.

to confuse matters the latest roadsport cage that fits on academy type cars with windscreens now also has curved top hoops but the overall size of the cage is much smaller and fits under a std caterham hood.

I find gentlemen that are no strangers to a pie supper prefer the SLR/Safety devices? cages design with its larger space between the hoops for entry and exit.

Couple it with a set of MOG half doors and a solid passenger tonneau and its snug as a bug and right out of the wind 😶‍🌫️

Taffia AO

Foie gras pasty maybe ?

as I say if your taking the skins off weld on the additonal bosses and then simply buy the current caged model SLR cage.

The older Safety devices manufactured ones are quite difficult to track down although a mail to MOG may lead to something.

And the front legs that are bolted to the bosses rather then sitting on the chassis have to contribute greater chassis stiffness ?.

I didnt want to remove my side skins so I went for the Safety devices one.

Taffia AO

If it helps...........mine is a safety devices SLR cage - fitted to a 94 dedion. My chassis had the front bosses fitted when the petty strut would go (on both sides) but not the bosses that sit at around hip level. If you are reskinning then you can obviously fit the extra ones.

I did wait a while for a safety devices cage to come up and they seem to be at a bit of a premium compared say with the less elegant roadsport "scaffold". £500 notes as against £200 odd

I got hold of a Safety Devices tall cage which fits to the petty strut mounts on either side and has flange plates that mate to the triangles below the dash with three bolts each side. Rearwards, it sits in the FIA rollover bar holes and can be bolted with the same reduced thickness headed bolts. Then finally to the rear boot members, again as the FIA bar. If you have the fold-around leather trimmed knee plates that cover the triangle plates, they have to go or be trimmed so that the cage plates can be bolted directly to the chassis triangles. CC do a cut down version if you don't want to destroy yours. You'll also have remove the stainless 'door trims' if you have them.

As Dave says, it does noticeably stiffen up the car and also appears to increase the transfer of engine and transmission vibration through the chassis frame. You do feel a lot safer with it, even on the road where lorries have been known to drop things on low flying cars.

Roger my car has the roadsport cage here it is an early design, the later have curved top bars. this type of cage allows the screen and doors to be used but it is rather cramped. all of the bars are inside the cockpit on this type. ie. behind the screen

the Slr cages are fitted to the outside of the cockpit like Daves. this means full doors are out, but i know the later 'caged' SLR allows the screen to fit. as Dave says this cage needs the bosses fitting through the 25mm hollow box and welded into the chassis to put back the strength. I have looked at a few SLR cages recently that look like they have just been fitted through a tube through the hollow box *eek* and not welded this i dont think is a good idea as the box has lost almost all of its strength. this type of fitment has a bolt right through the chassis and a nut inside the cockpit. done correctly with a threaded boss welded in there is no need for the nut inside.

think i will be moving to a SLR cage myself but they are £1000 from CC here *eek* *eek*

Kevin R

black(but sometimes orange)-ali HPC

here

I have looked at a few SLR cages recently that look like they have just been fitted through a tube through the hollow box and not welded this i dont think is a good idea as the box has lost almost all of its strength. this type of fitment has a bolt right through the chassis and a nut inside the cockpit. done correctly with a threaded boss welded in there is no need for the nut inside.

I agree. Ive just had Arch fit all of these as threaded bosses.

they are £1000 from CC

Caged will sell you a modified SLR cage direct, delivered, for considerably less.

It's not as wide or IMO as attractive as the SLR cages but it is by far the best of the roadsport ones. I sat in car with a Safety Devices roadsport cage the other day and actually hit my right shoulder on the bar getting out, such is the difference between that and the curvy Caged version.

We are not allowed the SLR ones btw, hence why I don't have one. Not that I don't want to sell my RS cage *cool* but tbh if I were going for a full chassis stripdown I would go SLR as most on this thread are suggesting.