Click here if you are having website access problems ×

X430 - my SC'd 2.3 Duratec in a CSR chassis

Se7en

Ther gold is the lightest (and most expensive) heat shield material I could find.

After much discussion, research and more discussion, we went with a 10:1 CR.

I designed the drive belt system off a custom ally crank pulley with 6 rib belt for the ancill's and an additional 8 rib for the SC. I had to do this for clearance reasons but it is also the best solution to minimise belt slippage. Most bolt on installations just use a longer standard belt , usually 6 rib but occasionally 5.

The mounting of the charger was the most difficult and time consuming thing I had to do. I have all the drawings and CNC programmes for this bracket and about 8 other prototypes I made in the process. I have some for the opposite side of the engine as well. I will post pics when I take some tomorrow.

I will post a detailed engine spec soon.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fantastic result!

What gearbox has the task of managing that little lot then?

what compression ratio did you decide to go with ?

how did you run the drive belt ?

are the rotrex instalation plates etc available off the shelf ?

Dave,

Seem to remember seeing these for the last couple of years at Stoneleigh on I think the Power Torque Eng stand (based in Coventry) they had Duratec's there with the Rotrex mounted on the inlet side which would work nicely using the old K exhhaust as an air intake - not that I've been considering this (so far as SWMBO is concerned anyway) *tongue*

Too young to be old !

Edited by - 7 wonders of the world on 14 Aug 2010 21:29:16

What gearbox has the task of managing that little lot then?

I have the Quaife 6 speed sequential. I had to have the shorter input shaft fitted to go with the 20mm shorter Raceline bellhousing. I may fit an oil cooler to the box but Quaife thought it not totally necessary unless racing. We will see.

Edited by - Se7en on 14 Aug 2010 22:14:43

Edited by - Se7en on 14 Aug 2010 22:15:21

you click on 'quote', paste the text you want quoted after it and the click on 'quote' again which puts the 'end quote' which is /quote and then type your answer after that

so it looks like [ quote ] blah di blah di blah [ /quote ] spaces added so it shows the code rather than actually put it in a box *wink*

Edited by - peterg on 14 Aug 2010 22:22:06

Thanks for the "quote" training.

Engine Spec:

This is a brain dump of the specs from memory:

Thick wall Mazda block purchased from Cosworth

Steel crank and rods

Omega 10:1 pistons (custom machined)

Raceline low profile dry sump

20mm shorter bellhousing to move engine back

7 ½” steel flywheel and AP Rally spec clutch

Cylinder head - Big valve head, ports developed on flow bench and matched within 1.5%. Seats and guides made of Nibron. Dual valve springs. Exhaust port welded and re-ported to match flow of others. Ported by CNC-heads.co.uk before final fettling by hand. The head received more work after the 'customer port' was developed.

Valve material: SS inlets, different grade for the exhaust. Custom made by G&S valves. 36mm inlet and 32mm exh. This head cost £4200 without cams!!!

Cams are a custom SC grind on new blanks

Adjustable Vernier pulleys

Raceline cam cover

Raceline/Jenvey 45mm DTH individual throttle bodies

Custom made inlet plenum. Cast ally construction. Base plate CNC machined to match TB’s with bell mouth inlet trumpets machined in.

Custom fuel rail with -8 inlet, -6 to regulator

Custom machined injector pockets in head for vac signals

Injectors fitted in TB’s for better atomisation. Fabricated mounting brackets.

Injectors are Siemens 850cc high impedance.

Omex 600 ECU with custom made loom

Rotrex C38-81 Supercharger on CNC’d 5 piece bracket

8 rib belt on ally machined dual crank pulley

Tensioner made from American billet idler with machined eccentric centre

Intercooler core from OE vehicle (can you guess?)

Custom design and manufacture end tanks

Silicon hoses are all custom made to my sizes & lengths, high temp Nomex lined from Viper Performance

Blow off valve is TurboSmart but needs to be bigger as we were blowing pipes off the plenum when you shut the throttles above 6000rpm. I have a monster Forge DV or I will run 2 TurboSmart on an F-hose as per some OE applications (eg 996 turbo).

I tried mounting the SC under the inlet as per the X330 but the bigger Rotrex would just not fit properly as there is a diagonal chassis rail that fouled. We made several prototype brackets but it would not go into my chassis. It also means a long pipe run to the intercooler and back. I then saw a Locost being done with a Duractec and small Rotrex but he mounted it on the exhaust side. I looked at this as it gave a much better route through the intercooler and into the plenum. But the big Rotrex would not fit there either because it was right in front of the front most exhaust port, and it also fouled on the steering column. I found out about a dual crank pulley that Ford used on some engines (in the USA?) and that got me thinking. Using the dual pulley with the SC belt on the front managed to move the SC forward enough to clear the front exhaust port. The Ford pulley is 6 rib for the ancills but only 5 rib on the front which I felt may allow some belt slip at these levels. It was also heavy so I had a custom ally dual crank pulley made with 8 ribs for the SC. It was also a good thing that I had decided to use the Raceline bellhousing that moves the engine back 20mm as I needed that space up front for the dual pulley. It is still very close to the front exhaust port and the steering column but it works and was the only solution. The guy with the Locost actually re-routed his column with additional UJ’s but I really did not want to do that. I know RS do it on the V6/8 Caterhams with a steering box but best avoided if possible.

We have still not CNC machined the final brackets for the SC yet because we wanted to prove them on the dyno. I supplied a box of additional belts as we know of many SC projects that can throw belts with the slightest mis-alignment. I also supplied some longer belts in case we needed to up the pulley size. I calculated the SC pulley ratio from the crank pulley diameter taking into account the max design speed of the Rotrex (it is lower on this big unit), the desired boost level and the intended engine max rpm. I am pleased to say that it did not throw a single belt and the calculated SC pulley (80mm) was spot on! Some of this was luck because it is very hard to calculate what boost a SC engine will make before actually running it up.

The dyno sheet is here X430 Dyno Sheet

There were lots of discussions on the dyno when it eventually got running and run in. It was run in on a NA map (SC disconnected) from one of Jeff Wilson’s Atlantic 300bhp engines. They struggled to get a base map to start the engine because Omex had nothing that had run on 850cc injectors but eventually we managed to overcome this. We were tempted to run some race fuel which they estimated would have taken this to close to 500bhp but I just did not want to do this. The power curve shows peak at 7000rpm and a tail off after that which we are sure is the cams. There is no doubt this engine could make more power with different cams and higher revs but I really like the shape of the power and torque curves.

I am not sure if there is anything I could have done better with the spec of the engine without going to the silly costs of the Rallycross type thicker head casting with additional water ways etc etc.

I cannot wait to get it in the car…… 😳

• 1 month later...

Sorry for the lack of updates but progress has been slow lately ☹️ and I just got back from Monza *smokin*

The engine is actually in the car and I have someone wiring in the Omex ECU to the Caterham loom, the Race Technology dash/logger and fitting various switches etc. I am assured this should not take too long.......

I will post some pics of the engine in situ when I get to see it myself. Must get this thing on track somewhere this year. We will have a run with the Levante (on cut slicks) and the white RST V8 and maybethe stretched Exige with supercharged V6 *eek*

Can you believe we have been waiting for an inlet side alternator bracket from Raceline for about 4 weeks. Actually, I can believe it because it took months to get one of their bellhousings. *nono*

We then need to have some water pipes fabricated in situ.

Need to mount this all up and then check all the wiring before firing it up in the car.

Hoping to get it fired up in about 2 weeks. *rolleyes*

• 3 weeks later...
Could not get a bleeding bracket anywhere so Jeff had one made. Car is off for some water pipe fabrication, then we are ready to start the engine in the car for the first time. Going to go and see it tomorrow so will take some pics and post up. I feel it is almost time for a run out..............just in time for the winter! *rolleyes*

Well, we are almost there..........but not quite.

The simple job of getting water from the top of the rad to the engine bay is proving rather difficult. The intercooler positioning and the NACA ducts have caused a real space issue in the nose cone. I have not seen this myself but apparentlly there is no way to get a pipe through without cutting the nose cone in a fairly major way. *confused*

I will have a look next weekend and work something out. There has to be a way. *idea*

Had a run up to see the car today and sort out the top hose issue. We need to make a new end tank with the top hose on the N/S. That is the only way it can work and will be a neat solution. Should be done this week. *thumbup*

Updated pics added

here

Sorry for the quality of the latest pics but it was a combination of a borrowed camera with a flat battery and an iphone. *redface*

Saw the car at the weekend up at HWR and it looked pretty special. Jeff's fabrication work and engineering skills are second to none and he has made the installation look like a work of art!

Edited by - Carl on 12 Oct 2010 17:03:49

Latest pics here

Remembered my camera this week so some better pics uploaded. *redface*

Suspension is now lowered by approx 2" but alignment still in progress. Looks pretty low but I still have good sump clearance thanks to the Raceline low profile sump.

The radiator is still away being modded so the top hose pipes clear the nose cone ducts. The engine has run in the car but not for long due to radiator missing.

Spent a while trying to figure out how to set up the Race Technology dash/logger etc. Need to call them on Monday to get some help. Gear change indicator is all working and my AFR gauge is wired in.

Will get the car back next weekend to finish off the installation. I need to get the air filter and pipework in the right location so that it is fed by the NACA duct in the front side skin. Then I need to fit some heat shielding around this and also the supercharger itself to keep the exhaust heat off. After that, it is very close to a blat. *smokin*