Click here if you are having website access problems ×

stiff steering

simonhar

I have completed 2k miles in my self built 1.6K SV with no problems- a friend drove it recently and pointed out that the steering does not centre.I had noticed this but with fantastic handling I had assumed this was normal for a Seven. The steering does not feel stiff- does this rule out a rack problem(as in earlier posts)? The castor angles I assume should be 'right' as it is assembled as per guide and has been checked at its post build check. Any ideas?

Do you mean stiff or heavy? I presume you mean stiff, if there is no self centering. Stiffness in the rack seems to be a very common problem but doesn't mean it should be accepted. It should be fixed. Search through the old threads for the recommended fixes (proper adjustment of the large adjusting nut plus correct lubrication seem to be the answers). If you have the 22% rack the steering is quite heavy at slow speeds (at least on my older car) but the steering should definitely not be stiff.

Anthony

To my understanding, self centering is mainly a function of caster angle and is normally dialled into a tintop so that motorway driving is more relaxing. However, it also can make the car less responsive and harder to turn as the steering effort has to overcome the self centering.

If the car is not pulling to one side when going straight ahead and the steering wheel is straight (and there is little/no camber on the road), I would not worry about it .

Low tech luddite - xflow and proud!