Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Tyre Choices - Cr500 or R1R

micksmetafors

The 195/45-15 CR500's will soon be up for replacement. Car is used mainly on the road but with a few track days. Has anyone got a comparison between the 500 and R1R tyres from Toyo (195/50-15)? Might even put T1R on due to the very attractive price.

Any info happily received.

Cheers,

Steve

I put 15" R1R's on this spring, did have 13" with 888's. The outcome is superb, dry grip is the same as the 888's but in the wet they are unbelievable. I drove 400mls through France in pouring rain and was able to cruise along at 75-80 on the autoroute and that was with standing water, no way could I have done that with 888's. have now done 3k mls on them and the rears have only lost 0.5mm, these also come with 6.5mm new compared to 5mm with 888's - great tyre *thumbup*

I was tempted by the R1R's for my 968 but one of the guys was running them on a 2-11 at Mas Du Clos a couple of months ago and reckoned they were not too good on track, apparently he found they overheated quickly and they could not get them right no matter what pressures were run, sounds like others experience wit 7's is much better.

They don't currently import the correct size for one end of the Porsche so it was a no go for me anyway.

Mark