Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Heat shielding around pedal box

TobyCoulson

I bought some stuff from B&Q since my girlfriend was sat in the passenger seat getting her legs burnt by the sidewall on hot days (K-Series).

It was a roll of thin card covered in foil, with a thin layer of polystyrene on the other. Designed for putting behind radiators to push their heat into the room.

I applied it to the inside of the footwell with the foil against the wall, and it did a great job!

Obviously not advisable for the engine bay due to the card.

Hi Toby,

That looks quite cheap - i.e. a good deal if it works for you. After you have applied it and tested it - would you mind posting up what your findings were? Have you tried other strategies as well (like wrapping the primaries etc) or is this just the first step?

I have a Duratec R300SV and was worried about this being a problem but doesn't seem to be too bad as I think there is more airflow with the SV. On long journeys though it does start to get pretty hot and if I could reduce it a bit with this type of approach it would be good.

Cheers,

Martin

Duratec R300 SV Build Pics

Martin, our SVs are OK due to the extra bypass airflow round the radiator. The S3s get much hotter as the engine bay air is much more "stagnant", for want of a better word. I mean it wouldn't hurt in the summer to have a bit of lightweight insulation between primaries and foot box, but it's not all that bad really, since CC removed the cowling from the SV design.

Martyn

R300GRR