Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Where is my diff leaking from?

Shad

I've been trying to trace a fairly minor oil leak under the car. Here's what I know for certain is definitely not leaking:

> Engine sump and/or plug, or filter

> Gearbox fill or drain plugs, speedo drive or where the propshaft goes in

> Diff fill plug

There is no oil on the underside of the car forward of the rear UJ on the propshaft.

However, the diff, fuel tank and de-dion are getting some oil on them after a normal run, say 30 miles or so. I can't work out if it's from the nose of the diff or the right hand drive shaft seal. I've taken a few pictures here. The area of the chassis around the nose of the diff where the prop bolts on is the most oily, followed by the drips collecting on the underside of the diff. But the casting immediately below the nose of the diff only seems to have a very light film/trace of oil.

I can't work out if it's weeping from the drive shaft and then being sprayed around (couple of drips spotted on underside of boot floor) or if it's dripping back from the nose. Diff was serviced ~200 miles ago by R&R.

Any thoughts? *confused*

Simon

niknak.org

I agree, and I think I'll replace it as a precaution at least. But I would be amazed if that little leak could manage to spread so much oil around the nose of the diff! When your seal broke, how bad did it show up around the diff/chassis?

Simon

niknak.org

Yep - looks like the driveshaft oil seal.

The splatter near the nose looks like classic prop U/J splatter.

Check the U/Js for play and squirt more grease in, if needed.

Feel free to bring the car over on Saturday when you pickup the Tillett to try and we can have a quick look :)

Cheers - Simon

Cheers guys. Simon, will bring the car, thanks. The spatter on the ally panels is from the UJs, I took the opportunity to top up the grease when I had everything in bits so I believe it's just excess. The fluid around the chassis is thin like oil though, but maybe it's just grease that's not at its best...

Will look into some new driveshaft seals out though, seems like the best next move *thumbup*

Simon

niknak.org

Ive just changed a RHS diff seal which I wa sure was leaking. However, it hasnt cured it, and the next job is to take the sump off and reseal it. OIl seems to have a habit of leaking from one place and appearing as a leak somewhere else!

Hi Simon *wavey*,

I have used the seal kit from Bearingkits with no problems. The pinion seal is the same as the Ford one. The caterham one is upside down in the photo and I've just checked an old one in the garage and it looks the same.

The flange seals are slightly shallower than the Ford ones but I have had no issues. Just fabricated a tool with a step in it to set the depth of the seal. Do this before you remove the existing seal and the new seal is guaranteed to be in the right position.

Have used Bearingkits several times and always had good service/advice - HTH.

Regards,

Giles