Click here if you are having website access problems ×

earthing lights

Stef

I'm in the process of changing my old style (kind of square block) light brackets and indicators, on an 89 car, to the later cone style indicators.

There are a couple of earth wires which on the old brackets were attached to the small bolt that held the indicators on. However on the new ones the cones are plastic.

What should the earth wires be attached too?

with electrics it pays to understand some basics, the chassis and bolted on metal parts become the the neutral part of the circuit i.e the return to the battery.The earth and neutral are basically the same so to answer your question anywhere you want that is metal and part of the chassis and ideally away from the elements

phil

The old wiring loom actually has an earth lead for the indicators (black) that will terminate on an earth point by the brake union on the off side skin. When connecting the new style indicators, I used some Sureseal 2 pin male and female connectors, crimped a set of pins on the indicator wires and used PVC cable sleeve to cover them and then cable tied them the the light brackets (the lamp wires were inside the light brackets). These were then cable tied to the chassis at the cruciform.

Drop me a line and I will send you some photos. Mine is a 92 Supersprint.

Jonathan

My Flickr

-----------------------------------

95% there :)

92 Supersprint, Ford LSD LA, RK AX Crossflow.

• Area Representative

Stef

If I recall correctly with the later style plastic cones, the earth wire goes up into the headlamp (via the centre of the locating bolt) and earths in the headlight.

Paul Richards

Area Representative - L.A.D.S. (Lancashire and District Sevens)

LADS Website

Growing old is compulsory - Growing up is optional