Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Silencers - which one?

Alex Wong1697456877

My competition Vx can has blown all it's stuffing out, probably from when it's timing was out and it was getting good doses of neat petrol thrown into it!

I have the competition 4 into 1 manifold and will need to replace the can at some stage. Any thoughts on repackable cans, or carbon cans? Also, now that Carbon Component Co are not trading, where can I get a good replacement, or would I be best off getting a straight replacement for what I already have?

Cheers

Alex Wong

www.alexwong.net

_________

/ /

___ _/______ /_ ___

/ (_) (_)/

/`-'/o/ _______ o/`-'/

/ /// ( VDU7X ) \/ /

/___/--_________/--/___/

alex,

I weighed the box that hangs off the side of my car. It comes in at a mighty 8kgs. I am also in the hunt for something shall we say 'lighter'. Like the look of the R500 exhaust. 8kgs does not come in the Superlight catogory in my books. Still a lighter exhaust will save me the effort of loosing weight.

Andrew

Was the Techcraft silencer made with the specific exhaust manifold in mind or did you have to adapt the pipework to fit it.

What about mounting brackets?

Did the have a pattern to follow?

Finally, how much?

I think Alex and I must have the same age exhaust as mine is also due for replacement soon!

Andrew.

The Techcraft 7' or 6' are a standard can which the front pipe can be trimmed to length. The old raceline system on my car was designed for a 5' can and ran close to the body. I had a pipe made up with a slight kink to move it out (also went from 2 1/4 out to 2 1/2 dia). As for the mounts it bolts on to the standard point. Cost ? Not sure as I had other work done at the same time. Chris Wheeler at the seven workshop fitted it and will have the details 01992 470480

Steve,

per our conversation on Sat at the 7 workshop open day, the silicon sealant dissolving stuff i was talking about is called Silicon Eater says "removes all types of silicone sealant. Harmless to surrounding surfaces" costs 3.99 for a 150ml tube and is part code 8504-57 from screwfix direct free phone 0500 414141 www.screwfix.com.

I've never used it but intend to get some soon.

Cheers, Simon.

Pierre, try Quorne Engine Developments. Ken Snailham, it´s owner, drives a throttle-bodied Elise and is also quite famous for his Vauxhall/Rover conversions. I don´t know exactly the adress but just have a look at Alexs´ link-site. They do good work as far as I know.