Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Draft Reducer for 1993 S3 with leather pre S type seats

Brucey

Having got fed up with my wife sticking her finger in her right ear every time I go over 50 mph I decided to enquire about fitting a draft reducer.

I spoke to Soft Bits for 7's but they say their current product only fits 7's with the later (big headrest) s type seats.

Has enyone fitted one to an early car similar to mine?

Did it work with the lower headrest? (I cant raise my headrests much as they hit the FIA rollbar).

As I have an FIA roll bar (with diagonal) I was thinking about just fitting a piece of perspex to the roll bar between the head rests. This would also be a cheaper option.

Any experience or advice welcome.

Bruce.

Ian,

On longer trips, we usually plug our I Pods in. It's great, we don't talk to each other for hours sometimes!

Any ideas where I might obtain some mesh? I was thinking about using the 2 poppers on the boot cover as the lower fixing points.

I'm a bit worried about squeezing perspex in as the head rests intrude into the roll bar area.

Maybe time for a cardboard cut out trial!

Bruce.

I came across a nylon mesh 'sun shade' (for tintop rear windows) in Lidl a few years ago, which I use when parked up to keep any driving rain out of the back with the half-hood on. Cost 99p!

May be worth a look at something similar in Lidl/Aldi/Locaal market or even Halfords as a trial?

Ian - Slightly Vider SVelte SuperVeloce model 😬 - Joint AR for North Kent - Area details and calendar here

A solid piece of perspex the shape of the roll bar does not work, it increases buffeting. I tried it.

Whether a series of holes or vents would help I don't know.

You want a set of whimps

here

I think I have some with instructuions somewhere.

Allen

• Area Representative

I made one two weeks ago, I used an old mesh sun viser out of a tractor, but I am sure any sun visor mesh will do.

I cut it to the shape of the inner side of the roll bar ,I then outlined the mess sewing webbing around the edge, at present I have held it on with cable tyes but I have made some enquiries about some small nylon straps with plastic clips, and then I intend to sew them to the webbing on the edge. I have also thought about using the poppers on top of the boot cover were the tonneau pops on.

The draft excluder itself does work. Give it a go. Kingsley

Thanks for your advice guys.

Allen,

I'm not quite sure what a 'whimp' is as the link to the picture doesn't seem to work.

Kingsley,

That must have been a hell of a tractor sun visor!

I will try and get some mesh material to play with from Lidle.

I have been advised that the screen must only cover from the centre line of both head rests. Any further out and it will actually increase turbulance!

I guess the quickest way to find out will be to stick a piece of cardboard between the headrests and test it.

Ideally, I would also like to test a SB47's unit to see if it fits and if it works with my earlier /lower headrests.

Bruce.