Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Draining and Removing Fuel Tank

Dicky

As fuel pump has packed in, I need to look at removing the tank.

1) What is the best way to drain it ? I do not really want a mouth full of petrol.....

2) Removal - I assume boot floor out (is that easy ?), then work it out from there ? I have no idea what to expect once the floor is out...

3) Any gotchas ?

Any advice welcome !

Regards

Richard

Removing the boot floor should be relatively straightforward. Mine is in two parts, part plywood, part aluminium honeycomb. Find the two small screws that hold the cover over the filler hose, and remove this cover. You may have to disconnect the filler neck to get the rear part of the floor out of the boot, as it may be captive around the filler. Floor panels may be screwed down, or bonded in with a sealant. Once you have got the floor out, you can remove the top access plate to the tank (sender mounting).

Whatever you do, don't inhale any petrol ..... understand it is fairly fatal if it enters your lungs !!

I jacked the car up at the back and dropped the tank out of the bottom. Did need to remove the boot floor and all filler neck items.

I'm afraid I drained mine using the pump the second time.. the first time there wasn't much fuel in it so I just dropped the tank out as it was.

• Support Team

It might be possible to change the pump without removing the tank. I haven't tried it myself but there is some space between the tank and the sideskin and the pump is only held in with half a dozen screws.

To drain the tank I used a cheap syphon device from a local autofactor which was started by squeezing a plastic bulb. Demon Tweeks sell more expensive versions.

If you have to take the tank out then boot floor removal is one of those things that will take you ages of fiddling about looking like it won't ever come out and will then suddenly just pop out! Don't forget to remove the filler neck first.

Once the floor is out then I found it easier to jack the rear of the car up and drop one side of the tank down before removing through the top.

Yellow SL *cool* #32 - member of Drowned Rat Racing

I take it that this is a fuel injected car right? Are you sure it is the pump and not a relay/connector that is shot? Any chance you can power up the pump direct to see if it is working before you go to all the hassle of taking the tank out?

Jonathan

My Flickr

-----------------------------------

The rebuild has started :)

92 Supersprint, Ford LSD LA, RK AX Crossflow.

Cheers for tips - sorted!

Luckily, before we got to the point of draining/taking off anything big, we found the problem - wire to the fuel pump had chaffed through, wrapped in that bundle of wires tie-wrapped to the chassis rail just near the rear wheel arch - far cheaper to fix!! *thumbup* *thumbup* *thumbup*

Sorted, indeed - Huge thanks to Angus to popping over to help *thumbup*

Just a shame that I had already wrestled with the boot floor for an hour and having had to take the roll bar off to get it out. None of it needed in the end *cry*

Richard