Click here if you are having website access problems ×

K Series Temperature - No Gauge Reading

makingff

Over the last couple of days, the water temperature gauge has not been moving above 40 (hardly moving, if at all). Everything else seems fine so I assume it's the sender.

Have read a few posts that suggest (i) it could be a loose connection (which could be why sometimes it seems to move slightly) and (ii) it's fairly easy to change the sender if not.

Does anyone have any pictures that show where the sender is?

I also have an apollo tank which I believe also has an oil temperature sender that has never worked (have a switch on the dash that is supposed, I believe, to change between water and oil temperature). Is this the case and, if so, what should I look for here?

It's a 1.8 VVC should that make any difference.

Simon

On the black water rail above the exhaust primaries you should find two senders. The one you want is the one with a single wire. Unplug this and touch connector on wire to a metal part of the engine with the ignition on. The gauge should go to full scale. Try it with switch in both positions. Test oil temp the same way. The sender is half way up the Apollo tank. Easy to change water temp sender when engine cold. Will only lose a bit of coolant.

Edited by - Stationary M25 Traveller on 5 Apr 2010 18:46:25

Simon, it probably is the sender, but check the guage, touch the sender connector to earth and the guage should fully deflect (i.e. go to max), if this works then sender is the issue. With regards to the apollo, try the same, but also check the switch is actually wired up properly. The sender for the apollo is the same as the one for the water temp.

Graham.

R7 GPK

Superlight #85

I would check the connections on the selector switch before buying a new gauge. Assuming it is an indicator switch, centre terminal connected to gauge, and one incoming sender wire on each of the side terminals. Check the continuity of the cable from each sender (disconnected wire) to cable end at switch - using a multimeter.

Richard, thanks for the offer. Just tested the switch with a multimeter and is inconsistent so (hopefully) it's just this that needs replacing.

Now, anyone know where I can get a replacement? Can't seem to find one on the Caterham parts website. Will give them a ring in the morning and see if they have one to send out.

The indicator switch on their website says 2002 onwards - mine's a 99 so assume they're different?

Had a thought that if I just join the two terminals on the switch together, then should be able to check if it's the switch.