Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Is this normal?

Lotus Boy

Took the belt cover off my VX HPC at teh weekend and noticed a large build up of ??? on the inside in one particular area. I am guessing it is deposits from the belt?

See here

here

here

Is it normal to see this build up?

I had the belt changed 4 years ago and it will be replaced, with new tensioners etc, again this year.

Cheers

Dave

Grime and a bit of belt dust - Most cam belt covers look like this - as long as its not excessive - can't gauge that from the pics (although shot 2 looks a little more than I would expect) - belt may have been just a little too tight? - for correct tension - once fitted you should only be able to rotate belt - on its longest span 90 degrees - so twisting from the vertical *arrowright* I *arrowright* / *arrowright* _ to the horizontal in aerial view IYSWIM

The good thing is it has not snapped and you have the opportunity to change it now *thumbup*

Edited by - Billyboy on 10 Mar 2010 22:38:11

It's a long rubber thing, smooth one side, toothed the other...but that's not important right now.

😬 Sorry I couldn't help myself.

Pics

here

here

Looks ok to me but then my eye is un-trained on stuff like this. Does it look ok?

Four years old now though and as I say I will change this spring.

Cheers

Dave

Looks a little slack to me - on pic 2 as it descend to the bottom pulley it does not look under much tension *confused* it may just be the pic but - have you checked the tension - will the belt on this run twist through 90 or will it go much further?

I would add IF in any doubt as to the longer term use - change it now - better on the safe side with an unsafe engine - should the belt break or you will be *cry*

Just MHO *thumbup*

Edited by - Billyboy on 10 Mar 2010 22:50:39

My belt produced at least that much gradoo after about 5000 miles. I think it's a case of TADTS.

It looks as though you have a LN type belt path. If you change out the belt, be sure to examine the idler pulleys and replace them. Read up here about the breakage problem with LN idlers.

-Bob

94 HPC VX Evo III

Hi Bob,

Yep def the LN type and yeah I was aware of the idler pulley issue and made sure I had them all replaced last time. Will do the same again this year. As Billyboy says its better safe than sorry for sure!

Thanks for the reassurance on the buld up.

Also I'll check the tension.

Cheers

Dave

b_r - no comment!

Dave

When you come to replace the pulleys consider the metal ones supplied by SBD...

Fit once and forget.

Also the major weakness of the LN setup is the auto tensioner... (especially on high revving engines) this can be replaced with a solid pulley and belt tension can be achieved by the pre-LN method of rotating the water pump...

Just something to consider...

Gary