Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Aero filler cap fitting help

Steve Cragg

I am in the process of fitting an aero filler cap. There is a small peg on the back of the outer flange that holds the cap retainng wire. When I offer the flange up it is clashing with the rim of the filler neck. It looks like the cap is designed to fit into a neck with a deeper recess.

The only way I can see round it is to either to remove the peg (and hence the retaining wire) or drill a hole in the neck where it clashes so it fits.

Has anyone else had this problem? Any help greatly appreciated *smile*

Steve

Superlight #63

Mine doesnt have a peg , sounds like you have a newer version .

If you drill a hole in the filler neck do you not run the risk of fuel spilling into the boot area ?

I would cut the peg off , your unlikely to forget to refit the cap and anyway it sounds like it will hang down and possibly scratch the paintwork

Thanks Mark. Fuel wouldn't spill out as I would only be drilling the rolled edge of the top of the filler neck which is all contained within the neck itself.

I haven't seen any reports of similar problems so wondered whether it was a new feature. The peg is only about 3mm dia so not a big deal to drill out. Is there no retaining wire on yours?

I did have similar thoughts about the cap scratching the car as it would definitely be resting on the back panel when undone.

I'll see if anyone else has come across the problem before I butcher either the cap or the car *smile*

Steve

Superlight #63

• Support Team

Hi Steve,

I've just done this on an 03 car, and to get the cap to fit properly I had to remove the "internal flange" from the filler neck...the bit that located the metro style filler cap.

Otherwise, when you fit it all together, not only does the pin foul, but you can't get cap in either ☹️

Removed by chain drilling and filing, but if you've got a dremmel or die grinder it would be easier *thumbup*

Oh, BTW the larger cut out in the outer ring goes at the top to give room for the filler nozzle.....

Thanks Tim, Glad its not me going daft. Hadn't got to the stage of finding that the cap itself wouldn't fit - sounds like there is a bit of a design issue don't you think.

Still what should you expect for £100 🙆🏻 Having said that they still look the dogs compared to the plastic metro cap 😬

Steve

Superlight #63

I've never seen reference to an upgraded filler pipe to go with the aero cap and I would have thought Catreham would mention it when people are buying the aero cap.

I've spent a couple of hours today drilling out the rolled lip as suggested by Tim. Looks a right mess at the moment but at least it fits now.

.....and Peter you are right. There is a big difference in weight between the plastic cap and the aero. So this is definitely not a performance upgrade *tongue*

Steve

Superlight #63

Can any of you guys confirm the following:

1) Does the old aluminium flange rivetted to the back panel with 6 rivets, to which the filler neck is screwed, come off (i.e. you need to drill the rivets out)?

2) If yes...do the 6 holes in the new filler cap line up with the old rivet holes?

Thanks,

Willie

• 3 weeks later...

Just completed the task

What muppet designed that ? *mad*

Ok i removed the inner flange of the filler neck with a small cutting wheel on a dremmel then cleaned it up with a grinding wheel.Then re drilled the 6mm mounting holes *mad*

Retaining wire is being kept for the moment but first sign of marking my paintwork and its history.

Caterham Cars - dont tell me you guys cant get this designed/spec for this product correct so it is a straight swap

Mad Hatter Racing - Feel The Duralight R Torque 😬 Carl *thumbup*

Edited by - Mad Hatter on 15 Feb 2010 09:26:27

I just fitted mine at the weekend, yes I had to grind out the inner part of the filler neck but the holes in the alloy spacer lined up with the captive nuts in the filler neck , drilled 6 more holes in the rear panel and fits no problems.

one question though does the cork washer go on the inside or outside of teh rear panel?

Simon

Yeah I fitted mine inside. As Carl says the O rings will seal the external cap assembly.

Finished mine off yesterday. Spent a fair while grinding out what was left of the inner flange and then used a medium emery paper to get it nice and smooth. Painted up with smooth Hamerite and unless you look closely you can't tell it has been butchered.

I still think this is a standard design that has been badged up with the Caterham logo. If not whoever designed it needs sacking 🙆🏻 At the very least there should be a health warning on the work required to fit.

Having said that now that its all finished it does look the dogs and it was worth the hassle *smile*

Steve

Superlight #63

• Support Team

I think Hammerite will be OK assuming it has fully cured...

Nicked from the datasheet:

"It is based on synthetic resins, fast drying solvents and when fully cured resists all common building materials and splashing by dilute acids/alkalis, petrol and diesel."

Could be wrong, but its been OK for me in the past *smile*

Expect biggest problem will be chipping from the petrol pump nozzle.

No chance of getting any swarf in your tank as you have to remove the filler neck anyway. Its not that difficult and well worth the hassle.

You can always remove the wire that retains the cap and pin, that would make it easier.

Mad Hatter Racing - Feel The Duralight R Torque 😬 Carl *thumbup*