Click here if you are having website access problems ×

How do I get Diff Nose Flange off ?

Steve Campbell

OK. Have an oil leak on the nose of the diff.

Got the diff out, loosened the nose flange nut (with help from my friendly local garage compressed air gun)...now...how the hell do I get the flange off ?

I've given it a fair old yank but it doesn't seem to move ? Do I need a special extraction tool ??? HEEEELP

Thanks

Thanks Ian...went and got one last night and it did the job.

It's a dedion.

New oil seal on its way from Caterham now so should get it back together at the weekend....incidentally...I didn't have time last night but any ideas on :

How do I get the old oil seal out ??? screwdriver and care or some other way ?

How do I get the new oil seal in and correctly positioned ? Any advice on pushing it into place ??

Steve Campbell

P889 GRR

You might want to have a word with Phil Stuart at Road and Race transmissions - 01959 525105. When they rebuilt my diff recently I'm pretty sure it was the tightening of the drive flange nut that set the preload and clearances and they had some very hefty and special tools to do it, plus years of experience.

You should have marked the nut position and counted the turns to undo it before taking off the flange, or wrapped string around the shaft and use a scale (like the ones for weighing fish)to measure the pre-load. The pre-load has to be set correctly else you will get excessive wear/noise.

Speak to someone who knows as already suggested...

Jonathan

Normalisdull

-----------------------------------

This rebuild has started :)

92 Supersprint, Ford LSD LA, RK AX Crossflow.

Hmmm...I didn't mark the nut position...hadn't been given that advice for the standard Sierra diff on a dedion....1997 supersport

Can someone confirm ?? I pulled a Sierra Diff schematic from the web and from what I recall (it's at home) it just had a torque setting for the flange nut.........

Will check when I get home.....but any advice much appreciated as I want to get all this back together at the weekend if possible.

UPDATED : Yes....seems 110 NM torque on the drive flange and no positioning. The drive pinion nut with collapsible spacer doesn't need to be undone to replace the oil seal....if someone has done this....confirmation please....thanks

Edited by - Steve Campbell on 19 Jan 2010 19:15:06

Edited by - Steve Campbell on 19 Jan 2010 19:17:38

There is a little information here

I hope it helps. I hope you are right about just torquing up the flange nut again. On the English axle, this also sets the pre-load.

Jonathan

Normalisdull

Usually, hit one side with a screwdriver to force the opposite side out, then pull it with pliars etc...

Fitting, I placed the new pinion seal in place then used a roll of loom tape that had the cardboard tube the right diameter abd used this to drift it in :) (English Axle).

Glad the preload was not affected by the flang nut torque (ooerrrr).

Jonathan

Normalisdull

Well...getting the old oil seal out was a bit of a problem...but not as hard as getting the damn diff back in the car...1.5 hrs it took me.....those damn spacer washers are a pain......including half of the time chasing the stupid washers around the garage every time they fell out...... *mad* 😬

All back in now...just need to put the rear suspension back together tomorrow and I should be good to go......

This is the biggest job I've tried....frustrating ...but with a satisfying cup of tea and grin at the end of it.... 😬 *cool*