Click here if you are having website access problems ×

New build - rear brake caliper assembly

MartinH

Hi All,

I'm part way through building my R300 SV and am just at the point where I assemble the DeDion tube and the brake calipers. I can't figure out how to get the calipers together and the manual is...er...brief on this matter. Does anyone have any tips or photos I can look at?

Also, the box that the two pairs of brake pads came in had two little bolts in there with red loctite type stuff pre applied...but only two. What are these for? They seem to fit on the black nuts that I assume hold the two halves of the caliper together. If so, do I have two missing (for the other caliper)?

Thanks for any pointers.

Cheers,

Martin

Martin,

I think you will find the two bolts in the pads box are probably spare. You should find a set of four (probably with blue locktite on them) in the kit boxes somewhere. They hold the sliding pins on the fixed bit of the caliper (pins with gaiters), to the half with the piston in. Cant remember the torque on the bolts though.

Pete.

Hi John, Some photos would be great actually. Thanks for the offer.

I have now assembled the two halves of the calipers and inserted the shims and the pads. The pads though just dont seem to be located nicely to me. They flop about and get jammed in the cavity between the two halves. Maybe they will sort themselves out when the piston comes right out when some pressure comes into the system but at the moment they just don't seem like a good fit to me.

Cheers,

Martin