Click here if you are having website access problems ×

K SERIES FOAM OIL BAFFLE REPLACEMENT

flatout

My car has done approx 24,000 miles [1996 1.6K] and maybe due a foam oil baffle change? It was replaced approx 2 years ago by the previous owner - circa 1500 miles ago. Can it be done via my local garage? Is the baffle only available from caterham cars? Any advice gratefully received.

Just do a search on this. Most drop the sump (dead easy to do yourself) drill a couple of holes in the gasket and take out the foam.

The reason to remove the foam is it has broken up and blocked the pick up in a good few cars and it has little/no benefit.

As I said though, do a search as there is so much written about it and you will see where to drill the holes.

Myles (Alcester racing) has a guide on sump removal (again do a search) but I am sure a local member to you will give you a hand if you need it

BRG and Yellow nose now with added brooklands

Having now read several threads I am convinced that I should "exit" the sponge baffle. I am unsure where to drill the additional holes and how to replace the rest of the components. Does anybody have any pics to show extra holes and best method? *confused*

Did this just the other day... Even on axle stands, it's not exactly easy... But I am cack handed. Still, I caught the foam just in time, as it hadn't really started to break up - there were just a few little grains floating about.

Take care when drilling the holes in the gasket... *tongue*

John

myothercarsa2cv

Bugsy: '82 2cv6 😬

Talloulah '08 1.6K Classic