Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Roadsport sigma heat in footwell

AdrianO

I recently changed my Caterham to a Roadsport Sigma 150

I am finding the drivers footwell and interior panel on the righthand side of the drivers footwell is getting very hot. I can see that heat from the exhaust is causing the problem

I am thinking of having a plate frabricated to direct heat from th eexhaust away and under the car.

Is this a common proble?

Any better solutions?

Any parts to solve problem available to buy?

Any help appreciated

Come the cold weather Adrian you may be glad of that warmth for your tootsies *tongue*

I have the Sigma 125, don't know if the 150 develops much more heat but I havn't found it too much of a problem even in hot weather.

Obviously, heater valve shut off, leave open the flaps & switch on the fan blower does help shift some of the heat down there *redface*

In the past some people have a wrapped a heat reflecive tape around the exhaust headers in the car but this can cause extra heat elsewhere & possible damage. The Duratec engined 7's are known for cooking the feet & lower legs of there drivers.

• Area Representative

Hi Adrian,

Like Martin, I have a 125 Sigma and don't have a heat problem at all. Thus saying that, mine is an academy car with an aeroscreen and no (half)doors so its possible the heat is being sucked away from the cabin as I drive!

Anyway, if the heat is too much, you can get some adhesive silver insulation panels to fix onto the driverss pedal box which should cut down the heat on the metal from the exhaust headers. A friend with a Duratec R400 has cut down the massive underbonnet temperature by fitting the RIF centre tunnel cover which has a ventilated section to release the hot air from under the bonnet. I have had a drive of his car in hot weather and it was very comfortable which apparently wasn't the case before.

HTH

Nick

-----

Back in a BEC! - but done alright in Class 1...

Hi Adrian

I haven't got a sigma engined car but I have got a Zetec engined car, and two years ago on my way on one of my trips to Europe my other half was complaining that the footwell was getting very hot and on investigation I found that the heater valve even though it was fully off it was still letting hot water through so the heater was full on 😬 Regards Paul

I'd call caterham. I'm fairly sure the sigma created a few challenges for them in that there is special ducting availalble for the radiator for starters. They can probably suggest a way forward. If this gives you no joy, have a look at some duratecs; they must suffer the same problem, and apply that treatment

• Area Representative

Hi Adrian,

I have a Sigma 150 but it doesn't suffer from this problem although it certainly gets warm in the footwell. As others have said it might be a blessing in the colder weather.

Russ

*wavey*

Adrian,

interesting that yours seems to have problems when others don't. You could try reflective radiator foil from B and Q. Stick on footwell area under bonnet and use the spare to put behind radiators in your house on any outside walls. Does gearlever also get very hot. Never had any problems on my SV.

Hugh Robinson

SV vs Std chassis *wink*

there can be no doubt that a manifold placed in front of the drivers feet will create uncomfortable heat levels when driven enthusiastically for a long period of time, like beyond 2 hours. I have insulated my cockpit and wrapped my manifold in cooltec wrap on my duratec and its now very comfortable. The SV has much more air flowing around the engine bay and thus SV's are cooler (at least to sit in if not to look at *tongue*)

dj

here is my Duratec R .... C7 TOP

Taffia AO

• 7 months later...
I know this is an old thread, but I found a cheap solution to this overheating footwell problem. I found some self-adhesive heat reflecting foil for £2.99 (incl. P&P) on ebay here and stuck it down the front and side of the pedal box. The footwell stays much cooler in summer, as do my feet! Yes, it's cooler in winter too but with the heater on and some thicker socks it's fine *smile*