Click here if you are having website access problems ×

What does the lambda sensor on a standard K series actually do?

Grubbster

I know what it measures but does it actually do anything dynamically within the ECU? I have an Emerald fitted and the same question applies - I want to remove the std lambda and fit a wide band one connected to a gauge so I can make some adjustments in prep for MOT - but this means there won't be one connected to the ECU. As I am running 'open loop' I assume this doesn't matter?

Solent Se7ens Web!

At lower revs, it corrects the fuelling depending on the output of the engine. As I understand on the MEMS it can affect the fuelling up to 25%. At higher revs, the system operates in the other mode (I can never remember whether it is open or closed loop) and has no effect.

With the Emerald, I have no idea.

I could add a second boss (there is one in my normal exhaust but not in the MOT one!) but really just wanted to know whether it gets used int eh standard set up. I just removed it completely, fitted the wideband, connected to the gauge and set up one map in the Emerald ready for MOT - fingers crossed for next week.

I'll talk to Dave Walker sometime about running in adaptive mode with a wideband sensor, it may be something to do before next year.

It depends on whether your Emerald has been set up to running closed loop.

With an R300 (K-series, MBE) I have seen up to 25% correction - at up to 3750RPM.

To reach closed loop condition the RPM and throttle both needs to be steady.

/r

Edited for spelling bot not = both 😳

Edited by - RJ on 18 Oct 2009 19:57:58

which explains why I suspect my new one (the old one was shattered and fried) is making such a difference, it feels like someone is constantly adjusting the fuel mix a nano second after it needs it, whereas before I just experienced all sorts of muck. However, this is alpine driving and variations within that scenario, so nothing to do with mot. I do wonder how long it takes before it goes closed loop... perhaps I can look it up before RJ tells me :-)

under 4,500? and about a minute?

Anthony

Anthony,

I can't tell for the R500 engine, but for the R300 the lambda sensor is assumed warm after 45 secs. Speed tolerance for closed loop is 50RPM, water temp min 65deg. There seem not to be a time issue before it starts adjusting which is configurable, so I can't tell you how long it takes until it starts adjusting.