Click here if you are having website access problems ×

K Series Dry Sump System or not?

Jam3s

Ok,

After my first track "day's" in the 7 i feel i need to install a dry sump system, i have an appolo fitted and was going to install a 16 row oil cooler aswell as the mocal oil/water cooler but feel this is just side stepping the actual reason and im sure i wont need to run any of the above with a dry sump system.

I have looked into buying new but nearly fell off my chair, i didnt think anything could be more expensive than parts for a vaux engine but the Rover K seems to beat it lol.

Does anyone have a Dry Sump Kit they want rid of or can anyone recomend places to purchase one, or even reasons not to fit a dry sump system.

The 7 will be used on track aswell as road, this weekend i was at Croix & Abbeville and after about 10 mins on track the oil was very hot and began to loose oil pressure at which point 5th gear selected for a cool down lap to avoid any oil starvation damage i would like to be able to run for 15 to 20min sessions without the worry my oil is too hot and loosing pressure.

J

J7BYY

Kwak Green SLR

Sounds a bit strange. I've run K-series Caterham on trackdays, running for up to an hour or so at a time without a problem with overheating.

This was in 5 different cars with from 120 to 210bhp - all with Apollo setups only.

I also did the Academy and Grads racing and they all use Apollos and nothing else..

A dry sump will help with higher performance cars running slicks or very sticky road tyres, especially on tracks or airfields with long sweeping corners. A little track like Croix shouldn't trouble the Apollo at all.

All Caterhams will lose oil pressure when run hard for a long period - are you relying on the Caterham oil pressure gauge, or do you have an accurate one?

Cheers - Simon

I used to run a 1.6K with Apollo. The oil temperature was quite sensitive to oil level. If the sump was slightly overfilled then the oil temp used to run significantly higher due to the increased windage.

I decided to switch to a Catreham dry sump system before upgrading to stickier tyres and this resulted in much lower oil temperatures. I'm very pleased with the upgrade - my only slight reservation was the belt driven scavenge which I keep meaning to fit a warning light for...

Sorry if that wasn't the answer you were looking for!

Ian and Debbie 😬 1.6K SS Superlight #006

Penn Sevens Here

Thanks, Both are answers im looking for, when i say hot, i mean relying on the caterham gauge it says the oil temp is 100, to me this is not good, my old 200bhp vx engine used to run at max 90c flat out on track for 45 mins no problems, i had a 16 row cooler fitted though and as soon as i had a cool down lap this dropped to 70c. i did have Full SPA gauges and will be changing the 7 to SPA gauges very soon.

I am new to the rover K and im not sure if a 100c is ok or not, it just didnt seem right as when the 7 is at 90c it idecates 4.5 to 5 bar of oil press, as soon as the oil hits 100c it indecated 3.5 to 4.5 bar.

Now i used to use a rule that for every 1000rpm i needed 10 psi of oil press, the 7 revs to nearly 8k so this idecates just over 5bar, this is what the VX used to run is the K so different ?

Cheers J

J7BYY

Kwak Green SLR

There's some useful info on the Minster Power site regarding engine parameters, including oil temperature and pressure.

Mine will dip below 30psi idle when hot and I've seen it approach 40psi around some corners on track, but normally I see around 55psi hot on track. I have the Apollo tank and wet sump with a Stack mech gauge, no cooler.

Simon

niknak.org

Cool thank you, i did notice the R400 was very close so going by those stats 100c is not a good place to be!

Oil Pressure Maximum

5.5 Bar/80 psi

Oil Pressure Minimum

4 Bar/60 psi

Oil Temperature Maximum

100°C

Oil Temperature Minimum

50°C

Oil Grade / Viscosity

05W50 to 15W50

Oil Filter Number (MG/Rover)

LPW100180

Maximum Coolant Temperature

85°C

Spark Plug Type (NGK)

BCPR7ES

J7BYY

Kwak Green SLR

Edited by - Jam3s on 7 Oct 2009 07:10:51

100C is fine in my opinion and I would consider it slightly above optimal of 90C, but I wouldnt be concerned.

The pressure relief valve on the K series operates at 3.9 Bar, so 3.5 to 4.5 is Ok.

All this aside, the K with a wet sump and half sticky tyres with a half decent driver on a half decent track will wreck its engine bearings sonner or later. A dry sump system is the only reliable means of doing trackdays on a K.

dj

here is my Duratec R .... C7 TOP

Taffia AO

Send me a email to carl@ringtons.co.uk as I am considering selling my full dry sump system inc bellhousing, sump, pipework and recent new gold pump. The system is a standard r500 k series system ie magnesium :-)

Carl

James - did you speak to Richard on the dry sump kit?

As it happens, I run a 1999 SLR with dry sump since new. I reckon I've seen just shy of 100 deg (with a SPA gauges so hopefully fairly precise) when used v hard on track in warm conditions. i don't run a cooler. I think this is fine for occasional use, good oil and with regular oil changes and regarded as normal enough given this usage.

Regards, James