Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Another K series upgrade question

Wrightpayne

My 1.6 supersport is approacing its 12th year with no piston or head gasket issues so I'm contemplating a reliability upgrade at DVA this winter. Engine is EU2 with non cat 4-2-1 exhaust having done 14000 miles.

On the list is...

Forged Pistons

Uprated Head Gasket / dowels

Big end shells

Lightened flywheel & balance

time the cams (have piper verniers already)

CRB & clutch plate (AP uprated diaphragm & plate fitted already)

52mm TB

As said this is mainly a 'budget' reliability upgrade - anything else I should consider? I may consider head work, cams, emerald, DTH TB's etc in the future, so there may be things done now that make this easier.

I will speak to Oily about this and seek guidance from the expert, but you opinion would be appreciated.

Regards

Ian

anything else I should consider?

There is definately a plus to upgrading something that you already have setup to your liking but if you took the value of your car and what you plan to do, then double that figure would that get you into a newer, faster se7en with all the things and more already included?

Then you could upgrade that one 😬

My 1600 supersport is 12 years old and 40,000km. As the car was in excellent condition and had nitrons, wide track, PRRT, LSD ets then no point in changing it. Whilst engine is out modify the head, I had Dave do a large valve job, and with TB and 285 cams now does 180 bhp and good torque with the 4-2-1 exhaust. Even if budget is limited now you can add cams and TB later but do the head now and forged pistons a must if you intend to really modify. Just take Daves advice

PJ