Click here if you are having website access problems ×

K series coolant volume

tgracing

What should the coolant volume be for a VVC ? Manual says 5.1 litres / 9 pints without heater and less a pint for VVC's (I think). Making about 4.5 litres.

Try as we might we could only get 2.5 litres out of the car (and back in again obviously). That was with disconnecting pipes, various ends jacked up, and giving the expansion tank a good blow job.

Is the manual wrong (Shock horror) ? Or am I doing something wrong ?

TIA,

Davebo

C7 CAR

Oh, one more question...would what's in the pump make up the missing 2 litres ? If not, where the heck is the missing fluid ?

OK, just one more. If the collected wisdom is not to fill the tank up to the fill mark, just how much should be in the system ?

Cheers,

Davebo

C7 CAR

It's not what's in the pump its whats in the block that escapes when you pull the stat, and when filling don't fill above the marked line on the header tank and allow air to escape at heater valve and at radiator top bleed screw.

jj

N.I. L7C AO.

Membership No.3927.

The volume retained besides the liners is not that large, but it is difficult to get out with the engine in situ. This will not materially affect the new coolant. If really concerned, flush with 1 litre of Coldstream first.

The main coolant retention that was getting mentioned above is because of the twin circuits:

1 - Heater/bypass

2 - Radiator

The two circuits are separated by the thermostat, which is closed normally when you are draining the coolant. You therefore need to drain the two sides separately or remove the thermostat housing from the block. Only a small amount will then remain besides the liners and most of this can be removed by raising the back of the car.

*thumbup*253 bhp, up and running *thumbup*New boingy bits *thumbup*