Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Tyre wear at Nurburgring

Gary-Cornwall

I'm off to the 'Ring in a few weeks and need to decide which tyres to take.

The choice is between the rock hard Michelins or my 21r's. Obviously I'd prefer the Yoko's for the added grip but I'm doing an evening and full day and wonder if the wear will be too much. They've only done a couple of sprints to date so nearly new. Last year when I was there it was wet so I had little or no wear. I don't want to get half way through the day and find that the tyres are shagged.

Estimating approx 15 laps and the car is just a Grad spec 8v Vaux.

Can anyone advise?

I did 60 laps in the VVC on Michelins with *no* noticable wear. Unlike the M3 which could destroy a set of tyres in a weekend. Sadly didn't do enough laps in the Blackbird last time to see how CR500s or ACB10s would stand up. I would expect both to last quite well. The trick is to come in after a few laps and let the tyres cool off a bit.

• 1 month later...

Just a post to say thanks again for the advice. 21's were superb and not alot of wear noted after 10 laps. Bags of grip and pleased with the times.

Alot of interesting cars there. At least 6 360 Maranello's(Ferrari club had booked the track the next day), a Diablo and the usual scores of 911's. Our 7's got most of the attention though with several people taking photo's!