Click here if you are having website access problems ×

New Build Steering Rack Mounting

andrew_r

A quick silly question if I may -

I have installed the steering rack tonight.

The manual shows the washers under the bolts of the clamps.

But the bolts are capped headed and design to seat in the counterbore of the clamp.

I am presuming the washers go under the nuts and the instructions and diagrams are wrong.

Is this a corrrect assumption?

Amy other obvious build manual inaccuracys?

Thanks

Andrew

If I remember correctly, I put one under the head, and one under the nut. With a bunch of coppaslip. But by the sounds of things your clamp is different. Are you building a CSR? Because they look like you describe on the Caterham parts website. If not, you may have the wrong clamps...

Some people whack some washers between the clamp and cross brace to raise the rack too, to counteract bump steer. I didn't bother though.

John

myothercarsa2cv

Bugsy: '82 2cv6 😬

Talloulah '08 1.6K Classic

Andrew,

What model are you building? Presumably it's not a CSR as I believe they are factory-build only?

My Assembly Guide (R400, April 2008) says to use the bolts in pack 30S003A, Item 1. These are indeed capheads (M6 x 65) so Fig 1 is in fact wrong (as it shows hex bolts). But the clamps on my car don't have any recesses for the cap heads, so I suspect that, as myothercarsa2cv suggests, you may well have the wrong clamps.

Do they look like this (CSR) or this (all other cars)?

I made a list of Assembly Guide problems and queries that I encountered during my build. Blatmail me if you'd like a copy.

JV

John,

mine are like the later ones, but are counterbored to allow the set screw to be recessed. I phoned Caterham today still awaiting a response.

Just be out in the garage fighting with the front top wishbone bolt and headlamp bracket. They don't seem to go in without bending the sking back. Even then the headlamp brackets don't look like the fit correctly because the bar going onto the wishbone mounting nut is not vertical where they meet.

Does this sound rignt.

I guess an SV headlamp bracket is the same as the standard car?

Regards

Andrew

Andrew,

Sounds like the clamp design may have changed since last year. No doubt the factory will advise. Re the top wishbone bolt -- yes, you will need to push the ali panelling back gently to make room for the bolt. Be sure to use plenty of masking tape to protect the paintwork. As for the headlamp bracket, it can only fit one way (with the support bar attaching to the rear of the top wishbone mounting). I guess any slight vertical misalignment will pull out when you tighten the bolt. As far as I know, the SV and S3 use the same headlamp bracket.

JV