Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Xflow Propshaft

LesG

Hiyas. I have approx. 2 inches of visible propshaft tube exposed proud of the gearbox nose (i.e., not actually inside the gearbox). Is this normal, or should I be worried? My car is an '85 DD, Xflow with 5 speed. I have all new engine and gearbox mounts, and everything appears to be lined up correctly.

I would have thought that two inches was a little much, but how long has it been like that - probably some time and all seems well.

I guess, relying on memory, that total length is at least five inches so should be OK?

Hope some one will be allong shortly with exact length.

allen

Hi Allen, that's just my problem, I've rebuilt a car that someone else took apart; so I didn't see it when it was working. It was the rolling road operator on Saturday who noticed the 'lack' of engagement (no centre tunnel fixed in at the moment), and he suggested about 20mm exposed to be correct.

Mine shows about 20mm at the nose with a driver installed. When I took the rear shocks off, I tested it out as I'd had the prop refurbed; it's about 30mm at full droop and full compression. There's not a great deal of movement in and out because the propshaft is quite short and only travels in a very small radius of around 100mm or so (which is the maxiumum up/down that the tunnel allows at the diff end). You can verify the maximum distance it moves out by jacking up the rear and letting the axle hang on the shocks.

IMHO the prop might be a bit short. I've got one in the garage I can measure if you want?

Edited to say; no, because you're a 5 speed DD and I'm a 4 speed LA. Same principle applies though.

Alex McDonald

Loud, louder, loudest...

Edited by - alextangent on 22 Sep 2009 12:04:30

Les

I had exactly the same problem on my car, I only noticed it when I was rebuilding it.

The X Flow prop shaft is 45mm longer than the Vauxhall/Rover unit, I was told by a reputable Caterham service company that from time to time when CC ran out of the Ford shafts they supplied cars/kits with the shorter units!

My car did 11,000 miles with the shorter shaft (before I noticed it) without any problems, however as I was going for more power I thought it would be prudent to get it lengthened.

I used the PROPSHAFT CLINIC cost about £60 including vat and carriage and it was back within 3 days.

Guy

Now with ZETEC power HERE

Hiyas.

I spoke to Chris Wheeler at the 7 Workshop today, and he confirmed that some of the cars can have a large amount of 'exposed length' (fnurr fnurr). This is the original prop as came with the car, and after cleaning said 'exposed length', I couldn't see any evidence ie., wear line from oil seal, to suggest it hasn't always been like this.

For my own piece of mind, I think I'll get the prop lengthened by 30mm, which should leave me 20mm 'exposed'. Bit of a shame after getting the car together so far, to have to take the diff and prop out again, but hey ho, that's cars for you.

Thanks for your input guys, and great photos Guy!