Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Need some weights of calipers please

RiF

I wonder if anyone has their calipers off their cars at the moment.

I could do with the weights of the standard front caliper (2 pot, not upgraded version)

and

The uprated AP 4 pot caliper.

Many thanks in advance *thumbup*

RiF Building a real super SUPER 7 with a V6 😬 😬 😬.For Build Pictures and LOTS of Carbon or try CA07BON for Henrietta's 7

• Area Representative

Richard

I do remember weighing my Hispec Ultralite 4s and they were 0.9KG each and I worked out that the overall weight saving was 4KG for both sides so I think each standard M16 caliper is about 2.9KG each. I can check tonight, as I have photos of me weighing them- sad I know *smile* Not sure how much the AP ones weigh.

Nick

Lava Orange Caterham Blackbird *cool*

I have this:

4 pot AP calliper weighs 1800gms (this is the early 4 pot design)

4 pot mintex pads weigh 500gms

2 pot iron girling original calliper weighs 3200gms

2 pot pads and pins etc weigh 370gms

2 pot disk weighs 2.5kilo - 9.125" dia

Ex Chairman Roger

Edited by - ECR on 9 Sep 2009 12:05:43

A double "Wow" *thumbup*

Firstly for the speed of the replies and confirmations, thank you and secondly for the fact of how heavy the calipers are.

As some of you know we are taking on the sale of brake parts for Caterhams from a well known company and although I knew there were some weight savings I never realised how much *wink*

It is also good news for my new build, where I will be using much bigger discs and calipers and thought this was increasing the overal weight, it is not 😬

Thanks again for your help *wavey*

RiF Building a real super SUPER 7 with a V6 😬 😬 😬.For Build Pictures and LOTS of Carbon or try CA07BON for Henrietta's 7

Dave,

Seperate bells and rotors. Saves a fair amount compared to the solid cast all in one version. There are some pics in the parts section of my build site www.lu07tus.com.

Done this for the front 275mm ventilated discs and the rear 260mm ventilated ones.

Now I am not increasing the weight with the brakes the only thing I have to worry about is the uprated driveshafts, due any day 😬 Hope they are not too heavy *wink*

Thank you for the additional replies, that's great to have complete confirmation.

I forgot to ask but, out of interest, does anybody know the weight of the original Caterham rear calipers? Might as well get all my facts together.

Thanks again for all your help.

Well thats made me think...

I have the AP uprated calipers for the front of my car and it never occured to me that i could save so much unsprung weight just by swopping the calipers *rolleyes*

However, I would be interested to hear from anyone who has gone from the AP uprated calipers to something lighter and could give an honest appraisal of the performance. My AP's are great at stopping (fitted with either Ferodo Ds3000 or PF pads) but saving that weight and maintaining excellent braking performance would be highly desirable 🥰

It really is an amazing weight saving 😬 I though carbon saved weight but this option is cheaper and better *wink* Oh should not be saying that 😳

Would be interested in anyone who has swapped from AP too.

I understand this to be the case:

There is an AP 4-pot caliper with 253mm ventilated disc offered by Caterham as an upgrade. This upgrade does not maximise the use of the pad to disc and is heavier than the UL4 equivalent. The UL4 caliper offers a pad with 48mm by 76mm while the AP4 caliper is only 38mm by 60mm. From this you can see there is a significant amount more pad contact with the disc.

If so then there should be noticable improvement.

RiF Building a real super SUPER 7 with a V6 😬 😬 😬.http://www.lu07tus.com">For Build Pictures and LOTS of Carbon</a> <span style=' color:red or try henrietta red-->

Edited by - RiF on 11 Sep 2009 16:07:00