Click here if you are having website access problems ×

VX Engine Builders -updated with photos

Jon Stewart

SBD sell a matching multi V pulley to go on a standard alternator. The crank pulley is a smaller diameter so the alternator doesn't rev so hard at high engine revs, thereby reducing stress. You may have to source the correct length poly V belt but they're readily available from motor factors.

On the subject of standard alternators, the fan on these can crack and break up so are worth inspecting from time to time. Mine failed without disastrous consequences although it could have taken the alternator and then the oil pump belts off. Others have reported them coming out through the bonnet and whistling past their ear 😳

Edited by - Paul Deslandes on 9 Sep 2009 14:25:03

Mark has kindly offered to remove the engine on Saturday *cool* so i'm confident on that front.

I had a new alternator fitted at the end of last year and queried it then but I'm now inclined to go with the small type *eek*

Is this best sourced from SBD and how would it be mounted? The photo on their website has it on the inlet side where my dry sump pump is.

This thread was just bought to my attention by my lawyer *eek* and indeed looking at the photos, the only part with the numbering and the teeth is the internal CPS trigger wheel.

I have to ask, who makes a steel crank which retains the internal wheel?

The theory that the picck up pipe for a Caterham wet sump may have caused this is a good call, its a crappy bodged arrangement at best.

Although SBD do an external pickup, a better way is to use the existing sensor on the backface of the flywheel - its better protected from any road bourne debris. You of course need a flywhjeel with the 60-2 teeth machined on teh back, but these are available at very moderate cost.

I do fear, looking at your crank, that you will have bent it. If you need it straightened properly South Cerney Engineering near Swindon are the people to take it to.

Regarding alternators, the small ones do have reliability issues. You can cut out one level of markup by buying from Brise or Cambridge Motorsports. Both these compnaies actually build/repair them.

Good luck, I know very well what a sinking feeling a blown up VX feels like!

My old engine had a steel crank (farndon) with internal trigger wheel. When I had it refreshed last year I asked Bob Jones if he could pep it up a bit...say, get over 250bhp. Unfortunately he was not keen to do it because of my crank. He was more than happy with the current state of tune (it had proven to be very reliable) but he did not recommend pushing it further with the internal trigger wheel.

However if I wanted more, he wanted a lighter crank with an external trigger wheel.

Matthew,

I spoke with James and he says he has no recolection of tightening these bolts when fitting your crank.

Anyway, it would make a change for one of your cars to get damaged from the inside out *tongue* *tongue* *tongue*

I'm off to look at that K-Series engined car at the weekend BTW..... Given time (and a trip to Croix) it will surely do the same also....

Edited by - EFA on 11 Sep 2009 11:23:53

• 1 month later...

I picked up my freshly rebuilt engine on Friday and am pleased to report that the only serious damage was a bent rod

There was a bit of tidying up needed, re-balance etc but i think i got off quite lightly and the damage to my wallet was very reasonable *smile*

Thank you again to Mark for the help with removal and recommendation 😶‍🌫️

The only thing i wasn't happy with was, after comparing costs with my last refresh, it would appear i paid about £3k to get the engine removed and refitted last time *eek* and £500 of headwork that was carried out at that time consisted of +1mm inlet valves and er, nothing else *nono*

I'll put that one down to experience *rolleyes*

Jon

That's good news Jon. Glad you got off so lightly. Not only do you have a rebuilt engine but you have also gained more knowledge, and you know what they say "Knowledge is power". Look on it as an upgrade 😬

Edited by - ECR on 21 Oct 2009 21:07:40

Indeed. I wondered if she would also notice some throttle bodies? 😬

I gained plenty of knowledge and confidence with Marks help to have a go at putting the engine back in myself this weekend. I already had a quick attempt then remembered i needed the scavenge pump which is still away being serviced *redface*

I had a few queries about refitting and i'll start a seperate topic.