Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Injection for Zetec

GasMan

I have a 2l Dunnel Zetec on 45's in my Caterham Dyno sheet shows 193BHP at 7000 and peak torque 156 Lbft from 5000-6000RPM. Although this is great I am thinking of going for injection. Dunnel's Clubman Injection is tailor made and he suggests 208BHP increased torque and driveability. But it is pricy and seems to need Dunnel to do any subsequent mapping.

For the same money I can get a system from Raceline and the Catarham Injection fuel tank. They say they can provide a pretty good match regarding a map and the ECU they use is readily programmable. Due to geography a trip to a rolling road is not really an option. Has anyone got any advice?

Someone local to me bought a complete Dunnell Zetec with ECU etc. The ECU turned out to be a reliability nightmare. Also not re-programmable by anyone except Dunnell (the map is password protected, password not given out), which for me is a major factor in an ECU purchase.

Raceline use GEMS ECUs AFAIK.

Mike

"The ECU turned out to be a reliability nightmare. Also not re-programmable by anyone except Dunnell (the map is password protected, password not given out), which for me is a major factor in an ECU purchase."

Is this not what Minister do with the R500 ECU's??? The only way to re-program a Minister mapped MBE967 is to do a full erase and start from scratch.

This raises an intersting point as to who the owns the IP of the map residing on an ECU. So far as I am concerned, an engine builder who maps any engine is providing a service in terms of his skill. The map must be the property of the ECU's legal owner.

How long until the afternmarkets engine tuners resort to software licencing????

Fat Arn

Visit the K2 RUM siteid=red>

See the Lotus Seven Club 4 Counties Area Website hereid=green>

I know of 2 people who have used the Raceline injection system on Dunnel Zetecs. One did exactly the upgrade that you are proposing from 45s. The other was to replace the very unreliable Dunnel ECU with the Raceline/GEMS one. Both conversions have proved very satisfactory. The Raceline maps seem to be a pretty fair match for the Dunnel engines, and having the software means that you have scope for subsequent fine tuning if required. I've also used the GEMS ECU on my Vx engine for 5 years with no problems.

Just a soft in the head California beach bum yank here, BUT, It is beyond my imagination to go for a 3D ecu and then not have it mapped specifically for your car on the rolling road. While an approximate map is useful, it may carry some risks, too rich/too lean, and rather defeats the purpose of a programmable ecu-----in my admittedly worthless opinion.

I have the Gems software if you want to have a look, before buying, but beware it still runs in DOS and we have found that the ECU puts out a slightly dodgy signal that means the moder laptops we have tried don't like it. A freind has beaten it by using an old lappy though.

Gems have also given over there lower end ECU's to Omex.

On the subject of a new tank - you could fit a swirl pot and retain your existing one - should be cheaper.

Phil Waters

Zetec is in and running *wink*

Thanks to all for the advice. Still not a lot wiser> Although in principle I don't like the unprogrammability of the Dunnell ECU it would be a perfect match for my engine and living on the Isle of Man a trip to a rolling road really is awkward. I have have had the same Dunnell ECU for 7 years and had it reprogrammed by Dunnell when I upped the power from 165 to 193 and it has been totally reliable.

On the question of fuel tank. How do I fit a swirl pot? And if retaining the original tank where's the best place for the fuel lines and do I need to replace the existing one for high pressure tubing? Is it OK for the return line?

Gasman

In answer to your first, surely a Generic Dunnell map will be as inacurate as a generic Raceline map. Both have excellent reputations and if they say they can get a map in the ballpark that seems fair. The only way to get an ideal map is Dyno Time but I guess you know that. If both options are fundamentally flawed I'd go with the cheapest, plus with the Raceline set up oppertunities may present themselves to ponce maps of others.

As for the tank question.. not really sure, but I know Raceline can sort this out for you. I believe that it means that your current pump (5psi or so) will pump the fuel into the swirl pot using normal fuel hose. From the pot you then have your high pressre lines and need an extra high pressure pump to feed the circuit. I have no idea on costs, so best to give them a bell (01483 811978 - will put you through to Chris)

Phil Waters

Zetec is in and running *wink*

Dunnell insists that the ECUs are returned to him to be reset/remapped when they fail - which they do.

I suggest that if Arnie is onto something with his "software licensing" approach then it should be backed with a service level agreement. In my view Dunnell does not have the service infrastructure and a Dunnell ECU is a liability.

*thumbup*253 bhp, up and running *thumbup*