Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Are white rear lenses legal?

paul jacobs

I'm just thinking of changing my rear lights for some Defender items and I'm wondering if a tail/stop lamp with red bulb and clear lense is legal - does anyone know? I know that is possible with the indicators, using orange bulbs, but don't know about the rest, although the new R500 seems to be using clear lenses, but it may be a special 'e' marked lense?

Paul J.

Can you ever have too much power?

but it may be a special 'e' marked lense?

AFAIK - The R500 rear white lenses are not for road use!!! use at owners own risk - they would not pass SVA and are fitted after this has been done AFAIK.

The bulbs used are not available as a legal item and the LED setups are not legal either at this time.

I have had a look at 2 suppliers and there is a disclaimer with the units. ☹️

Your insurance may NOT pay out in an accident

Quite so Rupert! The reflectors are the easy part Chris, already sorted with a couple of thin stick on jobs from a local caravan supplier, where incidentally, they sell the current Caterham style rear light block and rubber block for around £26.

Billyboy - very good point about the insurance, thanks for the reminder *thumbup*

Hi,

the "e" mark is only on the red reflector not on the white lenses.

I found out that red coloured bulbs become to hot and going to meld the lenses.

(just a small area become dull) Therefore I changed to the LED-bulbs.

Best regards

Gerhard

Caterham CSR 200

MAZDA MX-5, NB, 1840ccm

For what it's worth, I fitted the clear rear lenses (as supplied by 7 Tweeks and as appears to be the same as fitted to the R500) last year. I took along the original lenses along (just in case) to Millwood at MoT time but the car passed with the clear lenses fitted.

I therefore assumed that the units must be legal.

The red bulbs fitted were the multi directional LED's also purchased from 7 Tweeks as I found that the normal red bulbs gave off a far to pink hue for my liking.

Foggy the Silver Seven !!

They are for show use only and therefore not road legal!

Red bulbs are not legal for road use

LED repalcement bulbs are not as the angle of emitted light is incorrect

OE versions still have a red 'glass' over the brake light even though the others ae clear

If your involved in rear nd shunt this could be a loop hole for the insurance to wriggle - I've known it happen!

SVC do an LED light that is fully e marked and although I've not offered them up, from the dimensions they should just fit with a bit of fettling on their carbon effect block

Too young to be old !

Edited by - 7 wonders of the world on 1 Jul 2009 13:28:35

The LED bulbs are not legal because they are neither e-marked or have the correct wattage, the direction the LEDs are pointing is irrelevant (to their legality).

As Foggy mentioned there are also multi directional LED bulbs using 120 degree superflux LED, but these are not e- marked either and only a few of the LEDs do point in the direction you need and there is no efficient reflection from within the lamp unit.

"not legal" for what?

There are several aspects to this:

1/ whether something would pass an SVA

2/ whether something would pass an MOT

3/ whether you are guilty of an offence by using the item

There are many things which are contrary to construction and use regulations which are not tested by the MOT. There are also many things which are tested in an SVA which are not tested in MOT or required by construction and use regs.

It would be helpful when people assert that something "is illegal" if they could specify in which manner they mean.

The "The Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989" (which I would guess is the latest "statutory instrument" in this area) can be found here. "Rear position lights" have to have an approval mark if the car's 1986 or newer, but I don't see any requirement for a specific wattage, or requirement for filament bulbs.

-----Roger Ford Racing - demolishing tyre walls for 15 years and counting.