Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Diff removal from an SV?

weeman

Having read a lot of info on TT about removing diffs (de dion) and consulting a very knowledgeable friend, I shall be taking the diff out of my car this coming weekend.

I've removed the boot floor in the past to change the diff oil and there seems to enough room to remove the diff without the need for moving the dd tube. Is this the case on 'Steel Fab' SV? Has anyone on here done it that way? Or am I just being lazy?

Thanks in advance *thumbup*

Be Lucky!!

Martin

(Solent Se7ens) M7

Did this job last week on an SV. . . . DD stays where it is.

Summary is (and in this order):

1. Undo prop bolts

2. Undo A-frame rear mount and swing it forward

3. Release calipers and tie them up

4. Undo ears and remove drive shafts and associated gubbins from diff

5. Undo arb and remove it

6. Count spacer washers and remove front diff bolts

7. Count spacer washers and remove upper diff bolt. As you slide it out, push a big screwdriver through

8. Get in a suitable position to take the diff weight and pull the screwdriver out.

9. Wiggle diff out

Job done in about 1.5 hours *thumbup*

Refitting is the reverse of removal (as they say in Haynes manuals) and the simplest way of filling the oil is via the boot floor - it comes off easily. Just make sure you space it as it was with spacer washers. And of course, use the right torques and threadlock where required.

a very knowledgeable friend

So you havegot another friend then 😬

I'd add:

10. When removing the diff, keep it upright to avoid the need to

11. Clean the stinking diff oil from your floor/hair/clothes/cat/nose/carpet*

(*delete as appropriate)

Also - get the car as high as you can, no point in having to sqeeze under it, and don't forget to wedge the prop in place before refitting diff as it is possible to get the diff in place and not be able to position the prop flange in place (bitter experience speaking).

thanks Epimetheus, I suspected as much. *thumbup*

So you havegot another friend then

I was refering to you Steve, so no I don't have another friend 😬 Oh, and I shall be taking the oil out before I start, my OCD won't allow me to get dirty *confused*

Andy, Wales was simply fantastic and thanks for your very kind offer of help but It probably won't take long. You're always welcome at our place though you don't need an excuse and I could do with another friend 😬 .(I'll give you a ring later in the week)

Be Lucky!!

Martin

(Solent Se7ens) M7

Edited by - weeman on 30 Jun 2009 10:30:19

Martin,

You're welcome to borrow any of the Selsey Seven's Surgery Team if they are available as I don't think I'll be getting my engine re-installed this Sunday 😬. I can recommend their services but it should be noted that tonysee should be restricted to tea/coffee making duties only *rolleyes*

Why's it got to come out? Have you been driving so fast as to have broken something>

Steve.

Sussex (West) AR

Not forgetting Percy the Polar Bear who recommends

Puddle Pet Care

Weeman -

I did this earleir in the year and followed Brents Chiswicks excellent written instructions ( do a search on tech talk). Don't forget to use pipe lagging to protect those bits of chassis / A frame that you'd rather not damage.

Having originally struggled to fit the diff during my build i was dreading taking the b*gger out again but in the end it was much easier than I expected.

Don't worry too much about draining the oil out beforehand as you'll find you naturally keep it upright as it drops out. Get an oil syringe from Machine Mart for the refilling process - easier and cleaner.

Count and then cable tie the spacers from each side to the mounting holes on their respective sides - makes gettingt he correct shims back in their correct place easier - as does a dob of grease on each one to bind them together.

One final tip - don't be afraid to take the biggest hammer you can lay your hands on to deal with the top diff bolt. It will respect you all the more for the pain you inflict on it!

Good luck -

Dave

PS - I assume you're putting an LSD in its place??

Thanks for the offer of the use of your 'pit crew' Steve, but I think I should manage okay *confused*

Thanks for the tips Dazzled *thumbup* No matter how much you read, there's always someone who mentions something that no one else has.

As to why it's coming out 🤔

No Steve it's not excessive speed that has broken it *smile* and neither is it for fitting an LSD Dazzled. It's simply so that Road and Race can build it properly (something CC can't seem to manage *mad*) and thus cure the Tinnitus I get while driving.

When are you putting your car back together Steve?

Be Lucky!!

Martin

(Solent Se7ens) M7

Weeman-

Get Road & Race to upgrade you to a Quaife jobby. Having just done 2200 across Europe i can testify that its much quieter than the standard fit and way much more effective on the really twisty stuff. Not upgrading while you've got it out ( oooh matron ) is a wasted opportunity.

Those who say that the Quaife unit is not teh best will no doubt be along soon but i'm happy with the black lines I left on Stelvio last week.

Tinnitus, you should come out in my car and listen to the straight cut gearbox wine if you want tinnitus. Much cheaper to simply use some decent ear plugs. You DO use ear plugs DON'T YOU Martin.

Not sure when it's going back together. I'd like to do some work Sunday but will be exhausted from running SeaSelsey on Saturday. I'll be there from 0700 to probably 1900hrs without much of a break if it's as busy as last year. So I don't want to invite helpers and then let them put it back together while I sleep. Gawd knows what I'd end up with 😬

You're all welcome to come along on Saturday of course. Classic cars to look at, good foods to sample and a brewery serving beers *wink* oh and some fairground rides for the kiddies.

Steve.

Sussex (West) AR

Not forgetting Percy the Polar Bear who recommends

Puddle Pet Care

Martin,

Considering doing exactly the same as you, for exactly the same reasons, Caterhams last comment was "Its not as noisy as some and at least it doesn't leak" *eek*

Have you got R & R contact details and any idea of cost and timescale

Thanks

Rik

Roadsport SV 1.6 Sigma 150

in Viper Blue here

Rik, YHM

Steve, I'm not posh enough to have carpet in my garage. It's interesting to know that although Grubbster has carpet in his, it was you who had the pleasure of lying on the floor 😬...there are no flies on him

Be Lucky!!

Martin

(Solent Se7ens) M7