Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Duratec electrics

IanW

• Area Representative

Hi again,

I'm trying to wire up my Duratec to the chassis. So if anyone can help I'd be grateful.

I have the alternator output wired to the starter motor solenoid (this was fitted when the engine was delivered). I have added in a red cable from the starter solenoid to the battery. I assume that this is correct. I have connected earth leads from the chassis to the engine block and from the block / bell housing to the battery. I have found an earth lead from the chassis loom that probably goes to the battery. What I can't find is a power cable to the rest of the system. Any ideas where it might be located in the chassis loom?

Regards, Ian.

I have just had a look at the wiring diagram for an R400. It looks like a wire, which will be located approximately 450mm from the connector that connects the main loom to the engine loom. It seem to be covered with a plastic tube, and the wire that exits from the loom is 920mm long. It ends in an 8mm eyelet.

HTH

Regin

• Area Representative

Hi Regin,

Thanks for the tip. I'll have a look at the harness when I get to the garage. Of course, now that the engine is in, the loom is buried beneath the plenum chamber *biggrin*.

Regards, Ian.

• Area Representative

Hi,

Just a quick update. I identified the cable - it is brown with a black sleeve *confused*. Not very obvious for a positive lead . This cable, along with a cable from the alternator and the red cable to the battery all connect at the starter motor.

Regards, Ian.

• 6 months later...

POBC - I am approaching the end of my build.

I seem to have a spare earth cable.

I have the cable from the engine mount to the block and another from the battery to the Bellhousing. I have an identical cable to what was used to the bellhousing, but don't know where it connects. Anyone any ideas?

The positive cables are all fine.

Thanks

Andrew

We seem to have a spare too.

In the end I didn't want to undo one of the bellhousing bolts, so I attached the battery earth lead to the block, near the fuel hose connection. It seemed like a much more convenient proposition. I noticed that some of the CC cars have the lead going straight to one of the unused pedal box bolt holes next to the battery holder. Also seemed fairly reasonable.

Martyn

R300GRR SV build in progress

Rattie,

I was also looking to use a threaded hole in the block for ease of connection. The Bell housing is pretty buried once everything is in. Also the Bell Housing bolts are slightly counterbored which isn't great for inserting an earth cable.

Thanks all for the feedback.

Anybody want to buy an earth cable??

Regards

Andrew