Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Mobil 1 5W50 cost?

anthonym

Cost here in Switzerland yesterday was 38 chf per litre so that's £21.17 per litre.

How much is it in Britrain and can one still get it?

So my oil change cost me £120 just for the oil. Very ouch.

And another £211 for the extra I ordered for use over time, since we are losing a bit.

Painfully wondering if the extra was such as good idea as lower cost may become apparent say in France which is only a few minutes away. The thing is availability, or complete lack of it. I have been looking for some years actually and all I can find is 5W40 not 5W50.

Nice to say that I feel all refershed (or refreshed) after a long overdue oil (and filter) change.

Perhaps I am not alone? Or maybe I am?

Diff and gearbox levels also checked and ok.

With thanks to CC parts (Tony) for the telephone support during the process.

Somehow the engine seems to start more easily and run more evenly...

Anthony

(nb my arithmetic may be suspect in this)

Now then. Interesting. Have to say I suspected as much.

It would be very easy for me to take issue with my new buddy about prices.

It does seem that where he has charged me 38chf per litre I could have acquired it for 18 chf per litre.

I bought 4 units x 4 litres each. So let's see, 20 CHF x 16 = 320 francs = 178.25 say £180 extra so I am very unhappy about that. So far as that goes on its own.

I arrived with him at 9.30 am and he had the car all day as well as me for large chunks of it. I watched as he did various things (in itself a value plus). Draining oil seems to take a long time (as in, I watched it and it's slow). I was very happy about this because methinks that allows both the oil cooler and the apollo tank to drain too. Whatever, that's what I thought.

He charged me for three hours labour at 70 chf per hour = 210 chf = (say) £120 and I was very happy about that. I.e £40/hour same as I recall are Minister and others (or were).

I reckon "very unhappy" - "very happy" = "neither".

So let me see:

One very rare engineer 30 minutes from where I live (I might add I have to cross a col to get there, so that's tough)

He also checked the brakes and generally poked around the car, found oil leak from what looks to me like beneath the cam cover (doubtless it isn't that on an R500 but that's what I call it).

Also observed that there is pressure coming out of the two one inch metal tubes that project from the other side top of the "cam cover", and showed me a formula ford and how it has drain tubes to a catch tank to be track legal.

We chatted for ages about all sorts. (In French so am quite proud of myself for that). It seems he knows the English for all the technical parts (pieces) while speaking in French only. Whereas I can sort of speak French but know the parts only in English.

If he had charged me £300 for the day and a great deal less for the oil, I would have been happy. I have no control over how much time he charged me for and I suspect it was based on what it should take rather than actual time - granted draining oil does not actually take time as such. Oh yes this included checking sixspeed gearbox level and differential levels - after waiting three hours for me to find the gearbox special allen key (which was where it should have been in the end, in the boot).

So the question I asked myself was whether if he had charged me £480 all in would I have been happy? Yes. There is a lot of reassurance value in all this. The gearbox level had not been checked nor the diff, ever as far as I know. The oil change was well overdue but I have nowhere to do it, and these days watching a skilled person work is preferable to doing it myself. I guess nearly £500 quid for an oil change is a bit steep.... deduct the extra £180 surplus oil is £300 which isn't so bad, and I have to admit at that point I was very happy to have some spare 5W50 Mobil 1 which I haven't been able to find in an age. Guess I should have asked here in Techtalk.

Note to self: work on a balance between supplying parts myself and not tempting him to want to charge more time.

I had mentioned having ordered a set of CR500 tyres and he said to bring them to him for fitting. Bearing in mind that my old ACB10s are from a track point of view capable of still being used (are they?) My (now) cynical mind is wondering if there is secret (if harmless) profit to be made from ACB10s used on the road. Bear in mind ACB10 are a ridiculous price in Switzerland, I am ordering a full set of CR500s from CC with shipping for very little more than two ACB10s bought (with local shipping) in Switzerland. (reasons are the Swiss Formula Ford tyre users are tied with no choice to one supplier who I think is doing some... )

Now I can immediately see he will treat my wheels (anthracites not MBs) and tyres properly .. I need to go ask how much he will charge. I just have no idea, he could have meant he will do it for free (unlikely in this culture) and if not then the trick seems to be to ask and then agree the price is complete (that's the hard part).

By the way, I like this guy and he has to make a profit to eat.

And for all I know he was indeed charged a great deal (ok, that itself is double entendre) for the oil he supplied to me.

So.

Anthony

edits: typos and more text

Edited by - anthonym on 27 Jun 2009 21:07:33

I bought 4 units x 4 litres each. So let's see, 20 CHF x 16 = 320 francs = 178.25 say £180

Ouch!!! that would buy you 50 litres at my price locally (inc vat) for the comma 5w50...

Edited by - mav on 27 Jun 2009 23:02:11

Anthony, It sounds like the oil was cold. It will run out much quicker if hot. Will still drip out for ages, maybe a day or two!

I think that the prices quoted are way over the top, even for the Cantons!

Norman Verona, 1989 BDR 220bhp, Reg: B16BDR, Mem No 2166, the full story here

You and your seven toThe French Blatting Company Limited