Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Vx Cracked Front Disc...

captain chaos

This is the first time, in all the years of owning cars, i've ever had something like this happen...here...

The discs are 10 years old *eek* and they've done a good few track days..so is this just a sign of them eventually giving up?...should I have replaced them sooner?...there's no tiny lip from excessive pad wear...

Comments please...

PS new ones from Caterham? or where else?

Lucky they've lasted that long Gary, you're obviously not braking hard enough 😬

If you want like for like then Caterham is the only source that I've found.

Otherwise speak to John Freeth at Performance Braking who can offer a very sexy Alcon (alloy bell and seperate rotor) alternative at a similar price I think.

I looked at using the (much cheaper) Westfield vented disk but the offsets etc are all wrong

ECR: Do you have any more details on the alcon brake disc? Do they attach as standard? I've got alcon calipers with standard discs but I'm interested in the alternatives just speculatively.

Edited by - millsn on 30 May 2009 19:12:24

Gaz,

If you want I can get your discs checked at work (we use ACFM & MPI processes) alternative is to use Berol crack detective (3 spray can system circa £60, but very reliable and can be used without taking discs off)

Let me know if I can help out

The Alcon disks have been developed as a direct replacement for the Caterham AP set up I believe. That said, the disk is seperate from the bell and it may be that they have a bell that would suit you. I suggest you give them a call

Rob,

I will remember that offer thanks..but for now I'm going to buy a new set of discs. because the discs never look like wearing I've been a bit sloppy in not replacing them as part of a maintenance programme...

I'll be calling PB first thing tommorrow....I've just used them for some new pads for the GT3...Pagid RS29's..they had the best prices even at 475 a set *eek*