Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Bespoke wiring loom - what would you include?

Shaun_E

Decided to do mine myself in the end. It'll be a good winter project and given that mine's a like-for-like engine loom it'll save the hassle of getting the car to a loom manufacturer.

I've got a labeller that prints on heatshrink tubing for marking things up, and some nomex sleeving which should make for a very nice finish. I'm investing in a decent crimping tool, a new soldering iron and connectors/boots/pins for the ECU and senders.

I'm hoping to use a milspec connector on the bulkhead for everything passing through, which will mean the engine loom can be disconnected in it's entirety and I may ditch the MFRU once and for all.

So long as I take my time about it, I should be able to have a loom for a third to half the price.

I'm still looking for a decent source of 2 and three core, shielded twisted pair. RS seem only to sell it in 100m reels. I only after about 15m. So if anyone has any recommendations.. 😶‍🌫️

Darren E

K80 RUM Website and Emerald maps library

Edited by - k80rum on 1 Oct 2009 08:25:11

Darren,

Maplin sell Microphone cable by the metre and this is great stuff for using on screened sensors (TPS, trigger wheels etc..). It is a little thicker in gauge than automotive stuff, but easy to source.

here

Can you post up your BoM (bill of materials) and wiring diagram (the one you actually use rather than just the caterham schematic). Also interested in the connectors you plan to use. I have been trawling the PoleVolt catalogue trying to spec parts for a new loom.

Jon

Edited by - jonboylaw on 1 Oct 2009 10:51:39

Quick update - Jon, my bill of materials currently at the bottom of this page: BoM I'm still working on the schematic and it's predominantly engine-bay at the moment but I'll be extending it to the dashboard eventually. I'm using a 19-pin socket to allow me to leave the engine loom attached to the engine.

The loom uses sure-seals to replace the fan and front light connections. It also uses sureseal and mini sureseal for the Wideband controller and map switch sublooms. The spreadsheet lists RS as the supplier for the shielded twisted pair but I'll probably use Polevolt (about the same as Maplin, but given the majority of the order is with Polevolt it makes sense to stick with them)

Edited to add, all the engine sensor connections say twisted-pair but some of the powered components such as coil and injectors will probably need to be conventional thinwall stuff as I haven't checked the current requirements or capacity of them yet.

Darren E

K80 RUM Website and Emerald maps library

Edited by - k80rum on 4 Oct 2009 10:44:18